What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. purpurea ssp. purpurea cultivation (other stuff too).

NeciFiX

Kung Fu Fighting!
Hello there,

I know S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is much harder to take care of than S. purpurea ssp. venosa because it needs a very hard dormancy and most people do not live in such places. I however live in a place where S. purpurea ssp. purpurea grow (I live like 50 miles from a site). Would it be possible to grow it outside all year round? I asked this on CPUK and they said it should, however Barry Rice said probably not, I told him about the CPUK opinions he said 'maybe'. Would D. rotundifolia and D. filiformis var filiformis, Drosera intermedia, (I think thats the northern one) grow fine up here too?

I live in Zone 4. The lowest temps we get are about -30F.

Yes, although it would be best to protect it from winds and extreme cold. Remember, it is in a container (if that is how you choose to grow it), and that means its roots are above the insulation of the ground. I would personally either bury its pot in the ground in winter, or keep it in a garage or other non-insulated part of your house.

D. filiformis isn't quite as hardy as those other plants you described, so that would surely need to be protected. Although, don't take my word for it; I've never grown one.

-Ben

well the northern variety of D. filiformis var. filiormis should be ok.

From what I have read, I don’t see a problem with growing a ssp. purpurea in your zone, especially since there’s a wild growing site near you.
I recently got a ssp. purpurea X ssp. venosa hybrid. Hopefully there won’t be a problem when it goes through dormancy next winter. I’ll have to keep an eye on this topic to see other members’ responses.

Yes, it is the "northern" variety, but its range doesn't even extend into New York state, and that doesn't even go lower than zone 5, AFAIK. Although, I haven't checked a hardiness zone chart in a while.

-Ben

Would it be possible to grow it outside all year round?

Yes! I have a nice purpurea ssp. purpurea in my care for a number of years now. The plant was grown from seed in western Washington (where I live), maybe that might have something to do with it, perhaps? Regardless, it can be done, my plant is proof! In case you were wondering, its not a venosa by accident.

Homer

Hmm. I might just do what you said, cover them up, water them every now and then, and leave them outside and fight the perilous winter like pioneers.

Back