What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr flower query

• Thread starter DragonsEye
  • Start date

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
so my rubra bloomed this spring and the petals have long since fallen. However, the rest of each flower's "body" is still there and green. Never having had a sarr bloom before leads to this query: Is this an indication that the flowers were likely pollinated by some visiting insect?

Even an unpollinated flower can remain green, erect, and alive for months just like a pollinated one. Since the pods don't always swell noticeably either, the only real way to tell if it was pollinated is to wait for it to mature and look for seeds.

Thanks, Hawken. I know with some types plants it is an indicator of pollination, but not so with others. Not a problem either way. If it should set seed, then I will have trade or giveaway fodder. If not, no big deal. :)

Here are some examples of pollinated versus un-pollinated sarracenia "seed" pods. The seed pods and flower parts will remain colored until late season. The pollinated seed pods will swell and then ripen toward the end of the season, turn brown, and crack open when ready to harvest if they contain seed. Photos taken today.

Pollinated
Pollinated_2.jpg
[/url][/img]

Not pollinated
Not_pollinated_2.jpg
[/url][/img]

Pollinated
Pollinated_1.jpg
[/url][/img]

Not pollinated
Not_pollinated_1.jpg
[/url][/img]