What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey friends,

I've heard that you can pollinate sarracenia with pollen that has been stored.

Right now I've got:

S. flava var. maxima (REALLY GOOD SPECIMIEN)
S. purpurea venosa
S. flava var. rubricopora
S. flava var. flava (very nice)*
S. flava var. rugelli
S. flava var. ornata
S. alata --greene co. Missisippi*
S. oreophylla "sand mountain"
S. leucophylla*
S. hybrids.

I would be looking for Pure sarracenia pollen to cross with the species WITHOUT an astrix...that is, I'm looking for the same species and variety.

I will trade pollen for future seeds also, if they fail, something else will be required.

I'm also looking for another p. planifolia. My P. cruela are flowering, and I may have seed once I figure out how to pollinate them. Any help?

Anyway, I'd like a pair for my lone planifolia and will trade other plants for one.

Just interested in getting quality seed for myself and others,

SDCPs

Hey friends,

I've heard that you can pollinate sarracenia with pollen that has been stored.

Right now I've got:

S. flava var. maxima (REALLY GOOD SPECIMIEN)
S. purpurea venosa
S. flava var. rubricopora
S. flava var. flava (very nice)*
S. flava var. rugelli
S. flava var. ornata
S. alata --greene co. Missisippi*
S. oreophylla "sand mountain"
S. leucophylla*
S. hybrids.

I would be looking for Pure sarracenia pollen to cross with the species WITHOUT an astrix...that is, I'm looking for the same species and variety.

I will trade pollen for future seeds also, if they fail, something else will be required.

I'm also looking for another p. planifolia. My P. cruela are flowering, and I may have seed once I figure out how to pollinate them. Any help?

Anyway, I'd like a pair for my lone planifolia and will trade other plants for one.

Just interested in getting quality seed for myself and others,

SDCPs

Just watch your pollen from the Oreo, it is a part of an endangered species and therefore subject to ESA/CITES. I got hell last year for seeds here on the forum, even though they were open pollination and probably hybrids. You probably know this stuff, but just thought I'd mention it just in case. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct this.

Just watch your pollen from the Oreo, it is a part of an endangered species and therefore subject to ESA/CITES. I got hell last year for seeds here on the forum, even though they were open pollination and probably hybrids. You probably know this stuff, but just thought I'd mention it just in case. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct this.

Hmmm. I actually never thought about this. I know seeds and plants are restricted; but pollen? :crazy:

It is very possible, and I'm going to have a good laugh if it's true.

Hmmm. I actually never thought about this. I know seeds and plants are restricted; but pollen? :crazy:

It is very possible, and I'm going to have a good laugh if it's true.

I'd put money on it lol.
Wonder if it counts if a Honeybee flies over state lines? hehe

I'd put money on it lol.
Wonder if it counts if a Honeybee flies over state lines? hehe

Lets punish the honey bee! Wait, we've abolished the death penalty?

Really...flowers starting to open. Need to send pollen and/or recieve it soon!

CITES appendix I covers plants and all parts including seed and pollen. No trading, exchange or selling across state lines as per the Endangered Species Act. Gifts are ok as long as you are not getting anything back in exchange.

CITES appendix I covers plants and all parts including seed and pollen. No trading, exchange or selling across state lines as per the Endangered Species Act. Gifts are ok as long as you are not getting anything back in exchange.

So there you go, folks: no S. oreophylla pollen over state lines.

Thanks, NaN.

I just collected some Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora pollen on a q-tip this morning and refrigerated it. I think I am going to cross it with my Sarracenia oreophila. I am also going to try S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' with S. 'Leah Wilkerson'

Good luck with your pollination!

I just collected some Sarracenia flava var. rubricorpora pollen on a q-tip this morning and refrigerated it. I think I am going to cross it with my Sarracenia oreophila. I am also going to try S. leucophylla 'Hurricane Creek White' with S. 'Leah Wilkerson'

Good luck with your pollination!

Well, I'm not going to have much pollination because I'm not getting any additional pollen!

What I do to collect pollen is (once a flower is starting to fade) cut it off, and just dump all the pollen in aluminum foil and refridgerate it. Gives me a bit at once. This is for flowers I don't intend to use for seed production, however.

What are some other methods?

Back