What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia psittacina submerged?

I know that most the plants I cultivate for my aquarium also only grow fully submerged for part of the year, the rest of the year they grow immersed(halfway out of the water) on the side of a source of water or even in bone dry riverbeds. BUT they can be kept submerged for as long as they have the essentials, light co2, water and nutrition. you also have to acclimate them first by leaving them in high humidity so the leaf 'cuticles' can thin out so the foliage doesn't die or at least can last long enough for the plant to make new foliage.
so
I was wondering, if I went through all this and provided enough waterflow, co2, light and clean water could I grow Sarracenia psittacina fully submerged during its growing season or even year round?
and I mean fully submerged
sarrapsitt016.jpg

but in its own aquarium , feeding tadpoles and maybe waterbugs . or blackworms at the least

I also feel like if planted bare root with a filter it might reduce chance of rot but I am unsure on that one

any thoughts help

The problem with photos of S. psittacina submerged is that, while true, most of these plants are actually growing along roadways (or other "ditches") in very sandy soil, meaning while they become submerged, they only survive that way for a short period of time before the water level sinks again. Of course, it depends on the exact conditions of the surrounding environment, but I know a few spots where the summer afternoon rainstorms will cause the plants to become flooded, but by the next afternoon, the water level will have dropped dramatically, sometimes to the point where these plants are sitting next to the water, but not submerged. Other places, however, see the plants submerged nearly the whole summer. I'm not sure of any places (though others may be) where S. psitt. is submerged year-round.

I do know, however, a few spots where S. purpurea ssp. purpurea is submerged (or nearly so) year round. Of course, during winter, the water is frozen, and I imagine that prevents rot during dormancy, but I can't say for sure.

Hope that helps!

I see, that actually gives me hope.
this is why I mentioned other aquatic plants as matter of fact, its not uncommon for plants that only stay submerged part of the year to be submerged year round in artificial conditions
a good example is Ludwigia palustris, this is a plant im sure everyone in america has seen growing along a creek of some sort, yet it almost never grows submerged in most creeks and when it does it is only for short periods. another example is Elocharis, aka hair grass , I have seen this stuff growing literally in every corner of my town, I see it at every creek I've ever been to, but I've never seen it submerged, again because it only stays underwater for part of the year but in cultivation these plants are kept submerged in fishtanks year round, surprisingly with no dormancy needed. there are hundreds of plants like this and like most semi aquatic plants all it takes is the right conditions and they can survive under water year round REGARDLESS if that is how they grow naturally. believe it or not there actually arent very many plants that grow underwater year round, but in my experience with other semi aquatic species (hygrophila, ludwigia, Elocharis, marselia so on so forth) they will grow just like the parrot pitcher and only be submerged for short periods usually during or after heavy rain and the water levels rise, if you say some parrot pitchers stay submerged all summer, that is usually a sign to me that this could be a plant that can be grow aquatically if given stable clean conditions.

Last edited:
Back