What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scientific/Latin names of CPs

Who's good with Latin/scientific names?  Or at least what is meant by how they are written?

For example, if we have a species it's be written:

Nepenthes maxima

I get that bit. Family name starts with a capital, species in lowercase, all in italics.

Its the way hybrids seem to vary in how they are written.  for example:

Nepenthes 'Judith Finn' or Nepenthes 'Rokko'

as compared to:

Nepenthes x ventrata or Nepenths x murudensis

What does this difference represent?  Is it naturally occurring as compared to man-made hybrid?

Also,  what about how some hybrids have their own name (as above) where as some are simply described by what they are crossed between?  Is there some point where a hybrid becomes recognised and gets its own name?

Thanks.

Aaron.

The "x" indicates a cross, which can be either natural or manmade. Some hybrids are man-made and some are naturally occuring. The name thing comes up when someone decides to name a hybrid after themselves or someone else. Otherwise it's named according to the characteristics of the presumed parents. Also, sometimes a very complex cross will be given shortened name to save people the trouble of writing/ saying the whole thing.

You might want to try a search on the forums. This topic has come up before and there are several threads around where its explained how the nomenclature is structured.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I get that bit. Family name starts with a capital, species in lowercase, all in italics.

I think you mean the genus name starts with a capital, not the family name....Family is higher up the organizational chart.

Yeah eg. nepenthes are in the family nepenthacae. Lol.

Back