What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sensitive plant croaking

hey everybody

my sensitive plant was growing so well and all of a sudden its dying. i have it planted in a big pot with heavy dirt. heavy as in it packs fairly hard. should i have it in a more airy soil? also, it is very cold here. do they lose their leaves when it gets cold like other trees in autumn? what kind of fertilizer should i use for it? thank you very much for any advice

-josh

mimosa pudica is a tropical plant, so I very much doubt that it experiences cold temperatures in the winter. I don't grow any mimosa plants, but I have seen enought of them growing around here (I have a few in my back yard), and from what I've seen they grow mostly in sandy soil.

Jœl

i have a tree growing in my yard and the soil is a suger sand dark beach sand. seeds pods drop all the time from it and i can't keep the things from germinating. with cold weather while i was up in the mountains i brought back a small seeding so they do go threw a cold period at times just depends on where they grow. the soil up there is a rocky/clay mix

Yep, agree with Joel.
Mimosa grows wild here in Bali too and we have similar seasons to where Joel is as we too are tropical, so no winter.

You should grow it with your lowland Nepenthes.

Soil wise again I agree with Joel, there is a lot of clay here but the Mimosa I have seen have always been in more sandy areas.

Cheers, Troy.

awesome, thank you everybody. i found another problem that is causing it to die. spider mites
mad.gif
those little buggers are killin my plant. ill get even!! warm, slightly soapy water works doesnt it?? well, thank you again everybody

-josh

Back