What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SOCALI'ers !

Just a quick question for all you people growing nepenthes OUTSIDE. Is it safe to leave them outside during winter or do you guys bring them in under lights ? I know Highland neps would like it outside right now, but what about the lowland ? Would the BLAZING sun burn the neps during the summer ? I did an experiment with a N.Ventrata, I put it outside during fall, and everything is red. Since this experiment was a big success, I was thinking about putting almost all of my nepenthes outside and not waste electricity bills. Thanks for your comments ahead of time.

I've heard these two nepenthes do well outside in California. They are Nepenthes khasiana, and N. ventricosa x aristolochioides.
I would bring them in for winter, even in california. Most people do, if they grow them outside in the first place.
Lowland nepenthes would not like it outside in the fall and would definitely need to be brought in during winter.
Yes the sun could very well scorch them. I recommend using a shade cloth when growing outside.
I'd foot the bill.

Thats his opinion, im kinda looking for everyone else's.

What works for one wont necessarily work for another i have found.
So I say Do as He says Experiment

Daren

I live in the tropics in Queensland Australia so my nepenthes are all grown outside all year without too much trouble.

What city/area exactly are you in? You might be able to grow a few outside year round.

Im in walnut, its near chino... like 7miles. I live like RIGHT behind city hall.

You can grow many outside but you will have to bring them inside the winter months. If you expose them to freezing temps they will die or the tip will turn black. I did try last year with a ventricosa, ventrata and a sanguinea. Sang died, ventrata was half dead when i took it back in the greenhouse and the ventricosa did ok except it lost its tip and some of the leaves died. I remember seeing some at Fullerton grown outside year round but can't remember what they are...i know khasiana was one of them and one khasiana hybrid if i remember corectly...i'm sure some of the LACPS members can provide some specie/hybrid names.
I would protect them from full sun with a shade cloth and provide some humidity for them with the help of a misting system.

Back