What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spidermite infestation

• Thread starter fre8train
  • Start date

fre8train

BANNED
I have watched for a cupple of weeks and now the spidermites are everywhere. I can see the dirt in my turrarieum walking around all the time now It is going to kill all my plants.

Does anybody have any suggestions or ideas.

Hi Joe,
Any decent nursery should have an miticide. Basically what you need is some pesticide with neem oil as the effective ingredient. What I use is called 3 in 1 Flower Spray insecticide/fungicide/miticide with 0.9% neem oil. It kills both adult mites and eggs.
Peter

Is this flower spray ok for the gecko in there. What about the neem oil will it make my gecko steril also like the mites.
Do the spidermites eat the leaf or the root. they seem to be all in the dirt mostly. thanks

Spidremites tend to mostly infest the vegetation of a plant, not necessarily the roots. However, if you claim to see the soil moving in your terrarium, the infestation is probably extreme. Remove the gecko to a safe and hygienic environment, and treat the rest as suggested above, allowing a four to five day lapse between treatments for a total of three or four treatments, going lightly on the pesticide. Allow a cooling period of several weeks for any further obs, and reintroduce the gecko only after assuring the pesticide is inactive. Question: anyone know the time frame for this solution to go inactive?

Spider mites suck the plants juices/sap causing the plant to weaken and die. Neem oil kills them and their eggs. It doesn't sterilize them. It states on the lable that repeated skin contact may cause an allergic reaction in some people and that inhaling the mist is harmful. So I would not use it around any pets.

BCK

Neem is more commanly known as Ginkgo. It should be reletevly harmless

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 19 2004,19:28)]Neem is more commanly known as Ginkgo. It should be reletevly harmless
Finch,
I think you may have Neem confused with another plant.  Neem belongs "to the Meliaceae (mahogany) family, it is an evergreen, tropical, fast-growing shade tree that grows all over the plains of the Indian subcontinent." The leaves looked more like elm tree leaves than the more fan-shaped Ginko biloba leaves.  Neem oil breaks down quickly in the environment.  This link:  Neem Oil  has more info and will help.  Do a websearch to find more on Neem.  In its raw form it is edible but "extracts of neem have had the active compounds found in neem oil removed during the refining process, and these products usually contain alcohol or phenol used in the extraction process".

smile.gif

BCK

Seems to be the season for spider mites! I got them in my tank as well, but since i have frogs i was very reluctant to use any chemicals. I found this store in my town that sells spider mite predator bugs that eat them! i put about 100 bugs in my 30 gallon tank and the next day there were no mites left that i could see. the cool thing is that after about a week my frogs had eaten the preadator bugs too! problem solved!

Garden Indoors

add very high humidity and low temperatures in your tank. Also drown them with a spray gun. Mites reproduce in hot and dry places

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I think you may have Neem confused with another plant

You are right, i do have it confused.

See thats my problem. i love giving advise and saying facts, but often i am wrong. I should stop that.

Perhaps i really am flying blindly trough life

The best insectide I have found for Cps and regular plants is the systemic variety. I use Orthene AKA ISOTOX. It's very effective as the plant actually absorbs it and the pests are actually "eating to their death". It's very stinky and I reccomend you wear gloves when applying it. It can be easily absorbed through the plant tissues as well as the our skin!

I think the key active ingredient is the Acephate stuff. I read about in CP's of CA and NA by Don Schell.

neem is a systemic

Blast them with miticide (use a hose)
tounge.gif

You say the are crawling around IN THE SOIL?
I think you should repot your plants and WASH them in miticide, I don't think this will have any harmful effects (on the plants)
Or maybe you should try watering/spraying your plants with miticide, or maybe even showring them
wink.gif

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finch @ Feb. 20 2004,10:37)]1) i love giving advise and saying facts, but often i am wrong.
2) Perhaps i really am flying blindly trough life
1)  Welcome to the human race!
laugh.gif

2)  I believe we all are!
wink.gif

smile.gif

Back