What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

steve erwin

As another Aussie I couldn't agree more with Seandew. I read the title of this post, cringed, and thought "oh well, let's see what they are saying about that t*sser (a word that only another Australian will understand)."

He was an idiot for doing that with his baby, you NEVER know animals 100% no matter who you think  you are.
As for CROCODILES - not Aligators, the Australian saltwater crocodile doesn't turn away. They are huge, aggressive, lightning fast, surprisingly intelligent and several people get eaten by wild ones in Australia every year. Would you dangle your new baby in front of something like that? Not if you had more than half a brain.

I feel much better now I have that off my chest.

Cheers, Troy.

Not my strong suit, but generally alligators are not nearly as aggressive as the salty crocs in Australia. I think they will only get aggressive when defending a nest. Of course there are exceptions in all cases and people do get maimed by alligators occasionally. Pets are always fair game and pets being close to size as small children, they don't take chances with alligators and either have them removed or killed, wherever the two meet.
I think catching and relocating alligators would be a fun job.
tounge.gif

Regards,

Joe

Sorry, just read this. Adults working with wild animals is fine, but

It doesn't matter how aggressive. They are aggressive. They are wild animals. I like Erwin. I like to watch his show, but when this happened, it floored me. It was absolutely one of the stupidest stuns I have seen. Yes I know he is an expert, but things happen. Nothing, especially a wild animal, is completely predictable. You do not take that kind of a chance with a baby. The child could not crawl let alone run. Gaters and Crocs are faster than you think.

A man had a family dog here. The dog was a little aggressive, nothing too bad, until it took half of his son's face off. He still did not get rid of it. Had to be the kid's fault. After it went after another child and we took care of the matter.

I have friend. His niece was not quite two when she was standing on a chair, next to the table. She threw herself backwards and the chair flipped. She broke her neck and has been cripple for six years.

Things happen folks. They do not need the help of a stupid act.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Mar. 12 2004,18:56)]Things happen folks.  They do not need the help of a stupid act.
I agree Rose.  What would have happened if, for whatever reason, the croc had lunged towards him and he stumbled backwards and fell, dropping his baby?  Nothing in life is totally pedictable, especially wild animals and people.

BCK

Well said, BCK. There are too many variables in life, and if he had stumbled, he'd be in an Aussie jail, maimed, or dead. It would have been too late for a second chance at that point. I have been handling reptiles my whole life, and I learned the hard way you can't possibly be ready for everything. And then there is Murphy's Law; If anything can possibly go wrong--- it will!!

Old thread with new life.  
smile.gif

I too think what Steve Erwin did was terrible.  Like others have stated, you cannot be 100% sure of what animals will do...no matter how well you think know them (such as your own pet).  They *react*...they don't THINK like people do.  You NEVER take that chance with a child!  Especially a helpless baby.  Unless you are willing to live with what might result for the rest of your life.

I am a big advocate of leash laws which many people ignore because they want their dogs to be "free" and because they think its "cool" that their dogs "don't need a leash".  BS!  I don't care how well you think you know your dog, you can't be SURE about what they might do.   My dog was attacked once by another loose dog.  I had to haul my dog up onto my chest and I spent 15 minutes in the middle of the street kicking and screaming.  The dog just kept attacking and lungeing at my dog.  There was nobody around to help me.  Finally the dog's owner ran out of the house (white as a sheet!) and even he couldn't stop the dog for a while.  Once he got him and we both collapsed on the ground in exhaustion...he tells me "I'm so sorry!  He's not mean dog!  He's NEVER done anything like that before!"  
rock.gif
 I've never been afraid of dogs and I'm still not but to this day when I am approached by a loose, unfamiliar dog my legs turn to jello and my heart races.  I can't control it...its like a flashback.

A friend's 12-yr old, decrepit, calm, slow-moving dog attacked a neighbor's cat which resulted in a $900 vet bill she had to pay.  She NEVER thought her old dog would do such a thing.

So KEEP YOUR DOGS LEASHED for the *dog's safety* AND other people!

You just don't ever REALLY know what even the nicest dog or animal will do.  You must take caution to do your best to prevent the unexpected.

And I'm HORRIFIED to hear that Jerry Springer is on in AU and that people think THAT's what Americans are like! He is scum and his show is disgusting.
mad.gif

Why should just dogs be leashed? People who just let their cats wander into other peoples yards should not be that surprised if a dog in the yard it enters tries to chase it. I mean, cats range over a wide area entering other peoples yads, using their gardens as litterboxes, and taking a huge toll on the small animal population of the area. I dont want someones cat coming into MY yard preaying on MY famliy of bluebirds and staring at MY finches trough the window all day. If the cat wanders into a fenced back yard, its not the dogs fault. I agree with the idea of leashlaws for dogs, but what makes cats special?
They carry more diseases than dogs too.

About steve erwin... lets just ay i dont watch his show anymore.

I've never had outdoor cats (since I was a little kid any way). My cats have always been spayed/neutered, had all their shots, and been kept safe indoors from cars, dogs, humans and disease. Cats don't usually respond well to leash training which is why you rarely see people walking cats on leashes. But your points are valid Finch. I hate seeing cats wandering the neighborhood because it usually means they will 1) get hit by a car 2) pick up diseases 3) get fleas 4) get injured or killed by a dog 5) impregnate or get pregnant with unwanted kittens 6) get in cat fights 7) kill birds at birdfeeders and poop in yards/gardens.

I do what will keep my pets safe first. And I've never had unhappy animals...they get lots of attention and exercise. My cats were quite happy indoors and had little to no interest in going out.

Yeah, cats should be leashed up or kept indoors. I hate it when they poop in my raised beds. And in the summer, they come by my window while I'm asleep and make all sorts of obnoxious noises
mad.gif
Good thing for the cats I don't have a pellet gun!

Personally, I think Steve was a little, er, daring, with what he did. Don't think I would do the same thing if I were he. Whatever. Nothing happened. Was he lucky? Probably. So what. What he did was no dumber than what half of world does everyday. Does that excuse it? No. But we should all be a little careful of our judgment of others.....How often could Steve look at one of us and say "How on EARTH could you do something so STUPID?" Just my two cents.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Well at least your not naming is Dixie Normus ( inside joke )

THAT'S and inside joke? I'd hate to see what you call obvious!
tounge.gif

Good point, Schloaty. That's as bad as naming a kid "oops"
tounge.gif

Back