What's new

sundew rescue mission. Help!

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I was at the gift shop of a conservatory that I often go to and found these sundews and I decided to give them a chance for survival, but I am unsure as to what they are. one is a d. filiformis, but I am unsure of the other two. Any advice on these plants is appreciated.

I'll get better photos up soon.

It almost looks like that first plant has formed hibernicula, which is odd for this time of year.

Since the plant in the first photo looks like it has formed hibernacula, you could try stimulating dormancy until the spring of 2017, I just don't know whether can survive that long being dormant.

Last edited:
They are both D. intermedia; if there are green leaves still there is no need to attempt forcing a dormancy but instead allowing the plant to continue setting in current conditions until either all the leaves die off or temps begin to drop; then, give it a dormancy.

That's a question I have with some of my VFTs. I know they can tolerate being covered in snow for brief periods, but how cold can they go, and for how long without dying?

How cold should I allow them to become? I don't want them freezing to death.

That's a question I have with some of my VFTs. I know they can tolerate being covered in snow for brief periods, but how cold can they go, and for how long without dying?

I'm not exactly sure, but the ideal temperature for dormancy is around 33°F to 40°F, which is essentially refrigerator temperature.