What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I learned a new word today.. sympatric
sym·pat·ric (sm-ptrk)
adj. Ecology
Occupying the same or overlapping geographic areas without interbreeding. Used of populations of closely related species.
I want to do a fancy nepenthes setup for my private collection and include a whole bunch of nepenthes that grow with each other along with other species of non carnivorous plants that are also found there, for example a plant found growing with N. sibuyanensis that is non carnivorous is the fern Dipteris conjugata. I'm using wikipedia as my reference but I know that borneo is a real nepenthes zone but anyway I googled sympatric and I found a link to wikipedia on N. tenuis.​
"In its natural habitat, the species is sympatric with N. adnata and grows in close proximity to N. albomarginata, N. ampullaria, N. eustachya, N. gracilis, N. longifolia, and N. reinwardtiana."
close proximity I'd settle for that, If I were to use N. tenuis then those would be all the plants in the tank and I would try to replicate the natural habitat of the plant making it look like wherever the plant grows in the wild. something like this but with all the pots and everything way less obvious,and not just random species of plants that don't grow with each other in the wild.
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?s...c=26112&hl=
DSC00817.jpg

I know that to an untrained eye hardly anybody would realize the complexity of the setup I would like to do, but for a real plant lover they would be excited.

Does anybody else know of another nepenthes species that is sympatric with many other neps?

Wow that is really cool... i really like the idea.

Good Luck!

-Ryan

Yay, another word into my mind dictionary! Also, I like your idea, but I can't see any pots in the pic.

gracilis, rafflesiana, bical, ampullaria, mirabilis, northiana all grow near eachother.... i cant really comment on HL neps though. unless you mean like neps growing on Mt. Kinabalu....rajah, villosa, edwardsiana, lowii, burbidgeae, tentaculata. or a broader area like Borneo... rajah, villosa, edwardsiana, lowii, burbidgeae, tentaculata, muluensis, macrophylla, veitchii, steophylla/fallax. or Sumatra with aristolochiodes, inermis, dubia, izumiae, flava, jacquelineae and several others.

Alex

Thanks, I might just go with an alata a ventricosa and a ventrata, joking wow
aristolochiodes, inermis, dubia, izumiae, flava, jacquelineae expensive plants like 40-70$ for most of them.

izumiae really isnt that expensive anymore... more like 20$ or less if you find the right place. and yea...the others are just straight up expensive.

Alex

But if you want this sympatric terrarium of course some of the plants are gonna be expensive.

which would make it an awesome setup.

No i absolutely agree im just saying that i will cost a little bit more than having a bunch of $20 plants, it would be so sweet if you had one of those terrariums.... If you end up doing keep me updated on the pics (terrarium, plants, etc) and show the terrarium your gonna use ;-)

people might say nice plant but they won't drool over a setup with ventricosa, it would be for my private collection and I can stick to just pots for plants that I grow to sell.
I sold a plant for 3.25 and charged someone 4.99 for shipping, turns out shipping was 7.00$
:0o: and it was a small box with only one plant in it.
I got two sarracenia and a highland truncata yesterday in a box 4 times as large and it only cost 5.05$ to ship that box. When I said it was a plant the lady said okay its perishable and potentially hazardous, do you think they charge extra to ship anthra.. I mean sundew :grin:

I will it might take me a while its not the most important thing right now but I definitely want to do a tank and have a waterfall in the background and have nepenthes planted and I will see if there is any small shrubs that grow with whatever nepenthes I go with in the wild and I'll buy one or two and put them in the tank.
for example wikipedia says N. sibuyanensis has the fern dipteris conjugata growing with it in the wild and that at one point it's sympatric with nepenthes argentii, maybe I will just ditch the nepenthes from a region thing and just get plants that require the same conditions and then just make a really nice setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, no more multiple posts after each other. Get all your ideas out in one post. If you forget and want to add something, there's an edit button

but I definitely want to do a tank and have a waterfall in the background

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to do a waterfall in a tank without "over-watering" your plants?

xvart.

he could have the waterfall run on rocks ehind and than have the plants farther away from it maybeOnly problke m would be the water splashing off the rock

Unless the terrarium is seriously massive or there is so little water, in order to have a constant flowing waterfall you would have to have some standing water, meaning that it would also be wicked away into the soil, keeping the soil soaked. That is, unless you use some sort of liner, but they don't have those in the wild, do they? ;)

xvart.

Well no but do they have terrariums in the wild ??? What he could do i have a pool of water under the plants and the main ground cover and have like egg crate over it and cover the parts with plants and all and than leave it open where the water will flow through so it goes into the pool making a 'underground' resevoir to feed the falls ???

Well no but do they have terrariums in the wild ??? What he could do i have a pool of water under the plants and the main ground cover and have like egg crate over it and cover the parts with plants and all and than leave it open where the water will flow through so it goes into the pool making a 'underground' resevoir to feed the falls ???

Good point about the egg crates; similar to wooly sundew chambers that some people build (minus the waterfall, lol). The point about the terrariums, though, is irrelevant, since the terrarium, in this case, is the wild. It is the outside parameters of the environment DM is going to create is the glass walls.

xvart.

Just out of curiosity, how are you going to do a waterfall in a tank without "over-watering" your plants?

xvart.

The waterfall will not supply any of the nepenthes with water so I'll water with a watering can like I do now.
I'll get one of these
m-9.jpg

and I will hook a pump of to it in a small pond at one bottom corner of the tank and then I will take like 3.5 inch pots and 4 inch pots and 6 inch pots and use black spray foam, secure them to the back of the tank and maybe the sides. Then I'll toss some peat moss on top of the spray foam before it dries and maybe some rocks here and there and the tubing will run through the background and water will flow out here and there but never directly into a pot.

actually a great way to place the pots where you want is to get some egg crate and then zip tie the pots where you want them and arrange all the wood and then spray foam it.
anson070301019.jpg

anson070301032.jpg

and put like mossy branches in there instead of driftwood actually and give them things to climb.

Back