What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tap water?

I heard in Sarrecenia Northwest that for neps u can use tap water instead of distilled and that they'd grow all the same. Is this true?
Thanks!

P.S. I just realized u could use fertilizer with ur neps. Wat is the diluted recommendation per gallon and how much at a time do u give a nep the fer.?

Nepenthes for the most part will accept tap water. My guess is that they prefer distilled but they certainly don't need it. Drosera and Sarracenia will noticabley grow better in pure water than in tap, and Dionaea don't last more than a few months on tap water. My experience has been with tap water here, which is relatively low in chemicals.

Peter

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CaRnIvORoUs_FrEaK @ Feb. 04 2006,6:08)]P.S. I just realized u could use fertilizer with ur neps. Wat is the diluted recommendation per gallon and how much at a time do u give a nep the fer.?
i wanna know too but to be more specific lets say orchid fertilizer 30-10-10...

It depends on the tap water.

My experience pretty is the same as Rubra's. My water isn't high in minerals though. As for fertilizing Neps, I only do it during the summer. I spread a few granuals of osmocote on the surface of the soil and then water thoroughly each watering. I dump the tray every other watering to keep the fertilizer from building up in the soil too much. Don't know if it's necessary but it hasn't hurt
smile.gif

Back