What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Back from dormancy some of my Drosera trinervia have regained or surpassed their pre-dormancy growth sizes. Once again I let the medium dry out completely for at least four weeks. Dormancy started maybe six weeks or more later than usual.

You wouldn't know that a little over two weeks ago there was nothing green in the pot:
PC170026.jpg

For reference here is the same colony in April of the same year:
P4030053.jpg

Aphids did in one of my D. graomogolensis. At first I thought it was just the winter growth decline but as the plants conditioned worsened I feared they may have been exposed to temperatures too low for these plants. I had moved them outdoors during a record heat wave we had in Los Angeles which of course was followed by a cold snap. By the time I found the aphid exoskeletons it must have been too late for one of the plants and it expired. After treatment with a systemic insecticide the survivor bounced back rapidly. A couple days ago I decided to trim away the dead leaves and much to my surprise I found two new growth points. As with Butch has found before me, the Phoenix has arisen from the ashes:
PC170030.jpg

The massive roots on this species has proven survival value. This coupled with the ease I'm finding propagating this plant from cuttings makes me again ask: Why is it so rare in cultivation?

The massive roots on this species has proven survival value. This coupled with the ease I'm finding propagating this plant from cuttings makes me again ask: Why is it so rare in cultivation?
I also wonder that .... and who the heck started the rumor that it was difficult / impossible to propagate?

half no eyed deer---im just happy that the phoenix effect occurred for me as well. my D. graomogolensis was dying from a fungal attack---the one that turns the leaves super red and leaves them dewless. needless to say, it has come back with a vengence! these plants here are all a result of the aftermath.

DSCN3790.jpg
DSCN3792.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I also wonder that .... and who the heck started the rumor that it was difficult / impossible to propagate?
LOL! Probably me!

Gorgeous plants, amphirion!

Probably someone trying to keep the plants in $hort $upply! It's really nice to see this particular species getting around, IMO one of the most beautiful of the genus!

Great work NaN!
I was growing 3 medium D. trinervia in a pot that I didn't let dry out at all this summer, since I had some other D. spatulata growing in it, and only 1 plant came back, which is very tiny and doesn't look so great... So drying the pot out completely is definitely the way to go in case anyone else was going to try experimenting like me!

Follow up photos. I haven't fed the plants since the last photos. Note flower scapes coming up.
_IGP9373.jpg

_IGP9313a.jpg

_IGP9314a.jpg

Wow nice i might try to get some of those.

Very nice :)

They're baaaaaaack! Never ceases to amaze me how rapidly D. trinervia grows back from dormancy. First signs of life started late last week:

From this: (7 Oct 2011)
IMGP1682copy.jpg

To this: (22 Nov 2011)
IMGP1997copy.jpg

Looks like even this year's seedlings are making a comeback!

Wow truly a testimony how tough those Dews are.

Very cool!

How long is their dormancy period?

A minimum of 8 weeks with at least 6 of those bone dry. You can induce them out of dormancy by watering them since they start growing again when the rains begin. You can also hasten dormancy by drying them out as long as they've been well fed they'll survive. You try to keep them from dormancy by keeping medium wet but I was losing about half of them every time the summer/winter cycle went through. And they won't flower if you skimp on dormancy.

You make it so easy! If so, winter growing drosera are the perfect plants to cultivate around here!

Straight out of dormancy. I remembered I sprinkled some seed on there about a month ago. If you look closely you can see the seed coat on one of the green specks.
rectangle_out.jpg

Another pot of seedlings. The local springtail shortage gotta end soon, the plants are hungry!
99885_IMGP2119copy.jpg

Just to show how rapidly these grow coming out of dormancy compare one weeks difference

rectangle_out.jpg

IMGP2198.jpg

Here's a quick animated GIF. Alignment wasn't perfect due to perspective shift but it's too much work to correct it.
trinervia1.gif

Last edited:
8 Dec 2011
trinervia2.gif

Very nice! I really enjoyed the animation too :)

Very cool. 'Got me wondering - how'd he do that?

All hand held macro shots: set macro to same magnification setting. Try to compose the shot pretty much from the same angle and view. Align the frames manually with CombineZP alignment tools. Make an animated gif in Paintshop Animator from the aligned frames.

Back