What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timeframe of upper pitchers?

I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark timeframe for the first evidence of upper pitchers in the following species: hamata, lowii, ephipiata, eymae, inermis and villosa?

I know that they are typical to slow highlanders with villosa being an ultrahighlander.  I was just wondering how slow was slow?

Also, is the reason that they are slower growers due to the cooling that they are required to experience?

hamata by 3 years from a good size seedling/tc starter
lowii 6-7 years
ephippiata ?
eymae Probably 3-4 years
inermis I believe they produce just one jind of pitcher
villosa ?

The rajahs I'm aware of in cultivation that have flowered were around the 10 -12 year age range. I would hazard a guess that villosa would take even longer, it is a very slow grower. I've seen plants that are around 8 years old and nowhere near being mature.

Wow, that's crazy...I wonder if a regime of monthy fertilization and feeding would shave a few years off of that? Maybe we should email Jose Canseco and ask what he has in his medicine cabinet to acclerate things a bit.

dont rush the uppers.

let them come like the morning dew
biggrin.gif

nah i just watched southpark where cartmen is abducted by aliens and gets an anal probe....

Back