What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trap trimming?

• Thread starter MDPotter
  • Start date
Do any of you vft growers trim the dying/dead traps? I know d'Amato recommends it but do any here actually do it? And if so, when? Do I trim once the whole trap and leaf has turned black or can I trim at any time once the trap/leaf starts dying? Do you cut the leaf at the base of the plant or peel it once its all black or what?
When i repotted I removed all dead/rotting growth but now I dont know if I should be fussing with the dead traps or just leave them. Suggestions appreciated, thanks!

It doesent really matter, you can leave em or you can cut em, i cut em when they are almost to fully black, it just makes it look better.

I always cut them..
does not hurt the plant at all.

I generally wait until the whole trap has turned black or yellow, and the coloring begins to spread down the leaf, then cut the whole thing off down close to the rhizome, leaving a short stub, perhaps half an inch long.

Scot

Becarefull when you are cutting though! Ive cut off a flower stalk on Sundews and A couple VFT traps on accadent!

Cheers

Back