What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traps blacken too quick

• Thread starter al885
  • Start date
I bought a PFT a few weeks ago and its growing rapidly but it seems they are dying off too quick also. one trap caught a bee and about 4 days later its starting to turn black. am i giving too much water? whats going on

There are a few reasons why a trap turns black:
1) You've got the plant enclosed and it is experiencing "greenhouse effect"
2) Related to #1 is no air circulation
3) The bee is too big for the trap
4) The critter it caught wasn't a good choice for nourishment
5) Unbeknownst to you, the trap had been around awhile and it's time was up, irregardless of reasons 1->4

its outside, fairly new... and thats all i can say

Bah, for me, it took a while for the plants resume normal growth after I got mine in the mail. Don't worry if the next traps that come up are smaller than the last, or if they die rather quickly, it all balances out in the end. Nothing really seems out of the ordinary.

One thig I've learned is that when new plants go into shock, the sundews lose their "dew" and Pings will shrivel up. But if the plant doesn't actually die, you can forget about the existing leaves and look toward the new growth. If there is new, green growth, your plant will most likely be fine. It may not be happy at the moment and VFT traps very definitely do come in smaller for a time, but they recover their size down the road.

Back