What's new

2021 NASC Benefit Auction!

Review the rules in the 2021 NASC Benefit Auction forum. Listing and bidding for the NASC auction begins in
2021 NASC auction is LIVE! List items and bid now, thanks for your support!

Two questions

Hello all!
Here are two quick questions:

1. How can I make my new Cephalotus get less light than other plants in the same terrarium? It has refelectors on 3 sides and is 24 gal. tall (I think).

2. Would a cool white "normal" light bulb be okay for a 5-10 gallon lowland tank? I believe that the light would produce sufficien heat, too.
confused.gif

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

(1) For the cephalotus you could place a shade cloth over it.

(2)By "normal" I assume you mean "incandescent," and most people will tell you absolutely NO, but I have played with the idea myself and I grew 3 large and healthy VFT's under one, with excellent coloration to the traps. I did have to water them every day overhead because the water evaporated very quickly. I have not tried any other species though.

Ok, thanks!
Are you suggesting that I just cut out a small piece of shade cloth and drape it over some plant stakes on the edge of the pots? That's what I was thinking...
wow.gif
tounge.gif
So you did a little experiment with the incandescent? I only said normal so some newbies would understand...
confused.gif
Thanks!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif