What's new

Utricularia alpina species profile

Nice write up. Your alpina flowers certainly look very nice. I can't wait until my pot decides to start flowering.

Thanks, but that plant doesn't actually belong to me, my friend who I run the blog with grows it. He doesn't use the forums so I do the posting whenever one of us writes an article :D

Thank you for sharing this - your friend grew a striking plant! I'm with Grey Moss - I hope my plant flowers soon. I just got it in the spring and have really enjoyed the leaves as they unfurl...but a plant that could be in bloom basically all year long...yes, please!

Hey thanks for posting the write up!

I just ordered a new U. alpina and was looking around for growing tips to jog my memory - those flower pics have got me jazzed, though I suppose it will be a long, long while before I ever see them depending on how big my plant is upon arrival. ha ha

The first U. alpina that I acquired back around 2002 or so got a few scale insects on it along with the N. rajah it was growing next to so being a newbie I sprayed them both with a pyrethium insect spray and it melted the alpina pretty much overnight (the rajah did just fine). I kept the container for a while hoping for a rebirth and nothing happened after some months so I finally dug around in the sphagnum and there was nothing left under the soil.