What's new

Utricularia ID

I honestly do not even know if I have an utricularia but hey that's the whole point of a id thread. I took two photos from the plant and the flower stalk/seedpods. I do not know the flower color since I never seen it bloom.

2013-06-27+13_19_15.jpg

2013-06-27+13_19_04.jpg

I have gotten all my seeds from ICPS and I haven't seen any super tiny black seeds. I broke a seed pod to see how Utricularia seeds look like and I definitely don't recall saying that. I bought my peat from home depot and for years I haven't had any random Utricularia sprouting till recently.

concur. I have begun to wonder if seeds are coming in peat and not necessarily on plants we trade....
I wouldn't rule anything out but I still think trades are the most likely vector. Many that have U. subulata &/or bisquamata don't know it. Some that have one or both mistakenly believe that it stays in it's intended pot (LOL). Even those that know they have it may not warn a trade partner of it's existence. :nono:

I have an ever expanding colony of U. bisquamata that originally came with some Satracenia from Peter D'Amato's nursery. I wish I'd pulled them all out the moment the plants arrived. What a pest this is!

I wouldn't rule anything out but I still think trades are the most likely vector. Many that have U. subulata &/or bisquamata don't know it. Some that have one or both mistakenly believe that it stays in it's intended pot (LOL). Even those that know they have it may not warn a trade partner of it's existence. :nono:

So far I have gotten U. bisqumata only on infested plant material on trades or purchases. U. subulata I see popping up in places nowhere near any other infested pots. So it has gotten me wondering. U. subulata is an almost cosmopolitan species in bogs/marshes. Peat gets harvested from essentially same habitat. Perhaps they just don't germinate in your traditional nursery settings? too much fertilizer, impure water, pots too dry,etc////