What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia in full sun?

Hello there ppl. This coming year I want to grow some Utricularia in the same pots as my Sarracenia, which sit outside year round in full sun. I was wondering which, if any, of the Utricularia can handle full sun. I live in southern California, zone 9. So they have to be pretty hardy to handle my winters also.

That might put them into initial shock.

U. sandersonii does quite well for me outside in my D. binata pots. I'm zone 8/9, so temperature wise you should be fine. Start them in partial/afternoon shade, and once they start to spread to the rest of your pot, they'll be tough enough for sunlight. Good Sarracenia to try this with would be the denser-growing ones like rubra - something that will provide a little shade on bright days. Alternately, a really tall plant, where you can put the pot in shade without shading the pitchers, might be a good choice.
~Joe

hmmmm, thanks seedjar. Now I just need to find a couple plugs of sandersonii and start hardening them off. I let mine dry up last year and never replaced them.

I grow all my utrics in full sun and find that they thrive in that climate.

I'm in So.Cal. and I've got nelumbifolia, humboldtii, longifolia, bisquamata, and maybe some other little weeds kicking it in the full sun on my balcony. Just do it gradually in high humidity and they'll be fine.

When you think about it, most Utricularia live in open-air environments. Think about aquatic Utricularia or epiphytic Utricularia, Utricularia that live on Tepuis, most of these environments have just about as much Sun as Sun can offer.

That being said, I don't have the opportunity to grow anything full sun, however my Utricularia always have done best when they get as much light as possible.

Awesome, thanks for all the advise. Cant wait to get them started. We'll see what happens.

Hey Doku
do you need some sandersoni, livida graminifolia or Gibba

Back