What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia livida

I shot this in the dark blind, and was fortunate to get some cool contrast.

Utricularia_livida_003_r.jpg

Great shot! My livida is in flower as well, however mine doesn't have the violet hue shown in your pic, just pure white. Is that slight coloring how the flowers actually look or is that just an color artefact from the camera?

My Utricularia livida clone has a violet marking on the lower apron: sometimes more pronounced, sometimes less. I have a better photo I will post that shows the flowers in better light. I also grow 2 other clones that are supposed to have different markings, but they have not flowered for me. One is simply refered to as "Sp. South Africa" the other "sp. Durban, South Africa"

are the scapes twisted around in the air? leaning? or actually branched? that looks SOOOOO awsum!

The scapes grow willy-nilly as they will. Thanks for the nice comments. I always have liked this photo. The flowers look like dog heads sort of grinning: like they know something but ain't a-tellin'!

Tamlin,
Great shot! That's what mine looked like last autum ('course I don't have a digi-cam). Most of the scapes have dried out by now...but DARN those flowers last a long time! There's still two or three scapes left....5 months later! Did any of your flowers come out completely violette? I had a couple of scapes that were.
confused.gif

schloaty,

I got a good amount of color, but the white was always predominant. Your plant sounds very beautiful: a totally violet livida flower must be a thing to see!

Back