What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Variable temp conditions

My growing conditions are a bit variable through the year

In the warm months, the conditons are

Day: 80-85f Night: approx 70f

In the cool months, the conditions are

Day: 70-80f Night 55-65f

I was wondering if I would be able to grow the following. Right now, I have intermediate hybrids(which are thriving) and a few lowlanders (which aren't doing great now, but were in the summer) They would all grow small-ish (less than 50) gallon terreriums, so the bottle of ice trick may work in summer.

Will I be able to grow these? What experiences have you had with them?
N.bongso
N.veitchii lowland x highland
N. x predator
N.lowii x truncata
N.sibuyanensis
N. gymnamphora
N. sphatulata
N. thorelli
N. truncata x thorellii

I would think most of your typical highlanders would be fine in those conditions. My conditions are similar, but a little more extreme. Hotter and colder in the summer and colder and colder in the winter. My plants do grow slowly in the winter, but yours should do very well. Summer nights are probably too warm for the ultra-highland species. How is your humidity as that will play an important role as well.

im with steve, as i live about 20 minutes away. we get dry humidity, about some 20% in the day but the nights we may get some 60%-95% because of the costal fog here in long beach.

I grow my N. bongso, sibuyanensis and gymnamphora indoors under similar temperatures and they're fine.

All of those plants should be okay under the temps you have. The highland species on your list should tolerate the summer nights without a problem, especially if the humidity is kept high.

Back