What's new

Vinarium - Dojō Terrarium

I haven't posted here in a long time. I've just gotten back into terrariums and stuff again and have some new pictures. I don't currently have any carnivorous plants going, but I have a few related projects.

Here's a new setup I put together over the holiday.

Vinarium - Dojō Terrarium

I took some time over the holiday to plant a new setup featuring botanically-interesting vines in this 65-gallon tank.

IMG_9907.JPG

I set this up in Dojō Terrarium style, so there is just a simple gravel soil layer with the vertical dimension built up using logs and branches.

IMG_9911.JPG

IMG_9909.JPG

IMG_9910.JPG

Here is the list of plants I've pulled together so far...

• Banisteriopsis caapi
  • Cissus antarctica
  • Freycinetia sp.
  • Piper sintenense

So this is just four species, but they are all kind of interesting. I hope that I can two or three more vines in the enclosure. With pruning and a few more wood pieces to climb, they should work out OK.

I had just gotten the B. caapi with an online order and it looked a little shocky when I unboxed it, but it seems to be alright now planted in the tank.

IMG_9912.JPG

My second concept for this setup is to model decomposition in the forest. I plan to add Collembola and isopods and it would also be neat to also consider one or two roach species and maybe a beetle. I want to do this in a more or less controlled way and also avoid introducing undesirable hitchhikers such as earwigs, earthworms and lots of mites, so the large half-rotten log was baked to raise temperature inside to almost 200F. This should be hot enough to kill invertebrate animals and eggs. But I hope that some of the bacteria and fungi will have survived to start the decomposition processes. This punky rotten wood is a very good insulator. I had to bake at 300 degrees for more than two hours to get it up to temp inside.

IMG_9846.JPG

Cissus antarctica is a kind of common garden plant for warm areas, but I like the leaves. It's also neat because it's in the grape family, but tropical.

IMG_9906.JPG

Freycinetia and Banisteriopsis caapi.

IMG_9904.JPG

Here it is planted. If the plants grow it will start to look like something when they have doubled or tripled their foliage.

IMG_9903.jpg

Last edited: