What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water filtration in greenhouse

My school's greenhouses have a lot of fungus gnats flying around, which damage many seedlings and plants that my classmates and I are propagating. So I'm thinking of putting a couple pots of sarracenia in there (although I'm a bit nervous if someone take them since I only have one of each kind). The thing is they use plain water for spraying among the flats. Is there some sort of cheap water filtration system to connect to the hose to water CPs and orchids? Maybe I just have to use one of those Pur pitchers to hand water them.

I would have thought that a few Pinguicula would be much more effective. I think a fungus gnat in a Sarracenia pitcher would equate to flying a paper airplane in a hangar

I agree with Fred, some pings or dews of some kind would be much more affective.
As to the filter, I'm not sure. You will probably need to water them separately. Maybe get a tds meter and check the tap water, you may not need a filter.

Thanks for the fun analogy, Fred! I didn't think there would a difference in terms of caught bug size for pings, dews and sarracenias, but then I did hear sarracenia can prey on frogs. Guess I'll bring in the drosera and check the particulate level then.

Sarracenia don't really prey on frogs. In fact, I've often found tree frogs sheltering in the pitchers during the day in the Carolinas.

Back