What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went through a search...

But I couldn't find what i was looking for so I thought you guys could help! :D So here's the quick scoop!: I've been talking to a girl for a couple months through email back and forth and she's helped me get through more than a few rough patches. We decided to start dating when I come back and now she's going through a rough patch! So I thought being the helpless romantic that I am, I'd send her a flower. But I want it to LIVE not wilt like cut roses or other cuttings. So I thought an orchid. I'm pretty decent with CP's but Orchids are a whole new ballgame to my knowledge and I did a little research on the web but I trust you guys more!:-O So the species (least I think it's a species) is Phalaenopsis Orchid or "moth" flower from what I've gathered. What I would like is basic care for this plant: things to help it grow, lighting, when to fert or not to fert, humidity, temp the whole nine yards! Thanks for any help I get in advance! It's much appreciated!
PFC Bieber

cool idea!

but im not sure I would start with an Orchid..
unless you know she is REALLY into plants..
just because of the perceieved difficulity of growing orchids..(even though Phals are somewhat easy..but still.."easy" is subjective)

If she likes outdoor gardening, (and if she has a garden (if she lives in an apartment this idea wont work))
but how about something like a pot of Daffodils or Tulips?
after the flowers fade, the bulbs can be planted out in the ground, and they will come up next spring..
meanwhile there isnt daily care of a plant to deal with, like there would be with a more fussy orchid..

I like the idea!
I just think an orchid could be too much trouble for the recipient..
its a bit high-maintenance..

Scot

Well the thing is Scot that she has to find a new place to live so IDK if it will be an apartment or what. I could help her I'm pretty decent with CPs..at least I think I am...it's been two years! I was also looking for something that was unusual (like me) but beautiful. Orchids are considered, by many, to be exotic. So I thought something like that would remind her that she has an unusual guy comin' home to her and that orchid is to brighten up her place and remind her of me. I'm pretty set on it I must say so please don't be offended, Scot! I've been mulling it around my crazy brain for a few days and I'm set on it like I said.

Edit: Went through a search but didn't check the main "Orchids" page...

why would I be offended? ;)

if you think its a good idea, then you should go for it! :)
I was just offering some possible concerns to think about..

Scot

Orchids are great! I got a $29.99 one and it already sending new shoots. I got mine at Home Depot. But before anything, get "Growing Orchids is Fun" also at Home Depot. Its like The Savage Garden for orchids!

Adam,

I think that an orchid like the Phalaenopsis would be a good flower to get her. What I would look for is one called a Phalaenopsis sogo, there are many different varieties when it comes to coloration of this type. The reason that I would personally recommend that type is that you dont get one spray of large flowers but several flower stocks with a burst of smaller flowers. I currently have three different varieties of that Phalaenopsis sogo and they are great.
I have them all in a windowsill and I will water them on average 3 times a week. I will water from the top and once the base if full I stop. They have been growing well for me for several years now with that treatment.
I would go and take a look at Orchids.com, and see what they have. I have gotten plants from them in the past and they have always been great.

PS. (if it is a problem putting in the Orchids.com company name please let me know)

ieat100s: I would but I'm in Iraq! :( Only 3 months left however! :D

James, thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely do that! In fact I think I found the one I want: Dtps. Sogo Berry 'Sweetheart'
(Sun Jye Diamond x Zuma's Pixie) It says "first blooming in 3" pot !" So what does that mean...? Like I said completely new ball game for me...

My guess is that it is a smaller plant that is in bloom. I think that all of mine were in 4 inch pots or better before they started to bloom. I hope that she likes it, good luck and stay safe over there.

Whatever you decide on, make sure it's something easy in her situation. Nothing like giving a person a gift that depends on their care and then dies. X\
~Joe

1. East/west window light (morning OR afternoon sun, NEVER full day of direct sun)

2. Repot when done flowering in a bark mix that has been soaked 24 hours with a drop of dish soap

3. Pot according to root mass size and not plant size.

4. Cut spike back to where the first flower bloomed. It may spike again and bloom more.

5. Water at half strength with a fertilizer that has no urea as the nitrogen.

6. Fertilize weekly, weakly. 3 weeks on, 1 week with fresh clear water w/ no fertilizer.

7. When in doubt, DO NOT WATER! You will never kill an orchid w/ neglect! Only with too much love!

8. To rebloom Phals, they need a chill in the fall.

9. If it doesn't rebloom it's either a light/fertilizer issue.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

well i got her a Phalaenopsis and she said "nobody has ever sent me something so beautiful!! i love it!!" :D :D Got my foot a bit deeper in the door now!

Back