What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you planning on donating to the auction this year?

• Thread starter bluemax
  • Start date

bluemax

Lotsa blue
And then there's the list of proposed donations from potential donors.

I am planning on offering a nice little plant of Cephalotus 'OG Black' this year. Also, maybe a small plant or two of Drosera murfetii if there's any interest.

Cephalotus are always awesome, and I'd really be rather shocked if there wasn't any interest in the murfettii.

Someone recently asked me, so I'll reply to this thread too:
"likely my famous Cemetary Spanish Moss, Isopods, maybe some Cotton Plant Ties, Veggie Seeds, a Mix of Succulents, Orchid Cuttings, and whatever else I can think to offer".

I plan to offer 3-4 Tillandsia species as a package deal. I might be able to take another division off my S. flava rugelli that yieded a donation last year.

I might also be able to donate gooseberry and thornless blackberry plants, depending on whether any shippable plants are available and the estimated postage cost. I'm only slowly getting back into CPs and no longer have the orchid collection that used to generate some donations back in the day.

A friend has this Anthurium in some form. I'm not sure if she has seedlings or seeds (fruits) or both. It's trivial from seeds. Seeds/seedlings are from her larger plant.

I'm trying to persuade her to consider donating it in some form. Anthurium gracile.

Would people be interested in such a plant? It's easy in a greenhouse or outside in S. Florida. This is a very fun plant, and a very easy bloomer. Self fertile/pollinating.

334241782_634916205128884_2502225646409800490_n.jpg

334056090_3414357948822914_8071584722286053484_n.jpg

I took the photos at the Tiny Jungle Orchid Nursery city, CA. The original plant was a gift to me from the owner, Chris Mende. It bloomed small, in a propagator. It made fruits/seeds, and gave her a tiny seedling.

She's also curious whether there would be interest in Dorstenia foetida. The alien looking small caudiciform/succulent related to figs. It seeds out everywhere for her.

A friend has this Anthurium in some form. I'm not sure if she has seedlings or seeds (fruits) or both. It's trivial from seeds. Seeds/seedlings are from her larger plant.

I'm trying to persuade her to consider donating it in some form. Anthurium gracile.

Would people be interested in such a plant? It's easy in a greenhouse or outside in S. Florida. This is a very fun plant, and a very easy bloomer. Self fertile/pollinating.

View attachment 12109

View attachment 12110

I took the photos at the Tiny Jungle Orchid Nursery city, CA. The original plant was a gift to me from the owner, Chris Mende. It bloomed small, in a propagator. It made fruits/seeds, and gave her a tiny seedling.

She's also curious whether there would be interest in Dorstenia foetida. The alien looking small caudiciform/succulent related to figs. It seeds out everywhere for her.
I would definitely be interested in the Dorstenia foetida.

I would definitely be interested in the Dorstenia foetida.
Thanks, I'll pass that information along. I've grown the plant in the past and it's a fun one. Right now, I think she's making up her mind. It looks like Anthurium gracile won't happen: she lives right where hurricane Ian made landfall. Her plants have not yet recovered enough to make ripe fruit. Normally, they do that continuously.

She's not a Terraforums member, so I guess she would have to join. I think a couple things need to happen: I need to convince her that the whole auction process is painless and takes very little time and effort. And I think she needs to understand fully that it's for a good cause. I couldn't find out who the beneficiary is this year. Knowing that might help.

At this point she's sending me a TON of Passiflora foetida fruits (investigated for possible carnivory) and a couple "wild" (perhaps feral is a better word) Florida varieties of Passiflora edulis, one green, one yellow. I should have hundreds of seeds. I might set up 3 auctions: 1) an emphasis on carnivory and possible carnivory: P. foetida seeds, plus a couple CPs. 2) One with an emphasis on Passiflora fruits and flowers (P. foetida and the two P. edulis) and 3) just P. foetida seeds. We'll see.

On a different note: a question I've had is whether nurseries can join in and donate items. Andrew (adnedarn) I believe answered yes, but I don't remember the details. If it is indeed OK, I hope people are contacting them, and making sure they are aware that it would benefit all sides. Getting people hooked on their plants is always good. Even donating something like a surplus Nepenthes seedling could help. Donating a larger package of several plants (again if it's allowed) would generate a lot of excitement.

Thanks, I'll pass that information along. I've grown the plant in the past and it's a fun one. Right now, I think she's making up her mind. It looks like Anthurium gracile won't happen: she lives right where hurricane Ian made landfall. Her plants have not yet recovered enough to make ripe fruit. Normally, they do that continuously.

She's not a Terraforums member, so I guess she would have to join. I think a couple things need to happen: I need to convince her that the whole auction process is painless and takes very little time and effort. And I think she needs to understand fully that it's for a good cause. I couldn't find out who the beneficiary is this year. Knowing that might help.

At this point she's sending me a TON of Passiflora foetida fruits (investigated for possible carnivory) and a couple "wild" (perhaps feral is a better word) Florida varieties of Passiflora edulis, one green, one yellow. I should have hundreds of seeds. I might set up 3 auctions: 1) an emphasis on carnivory and possible carnivory: P. foetida seeds, plus a couple CPs. 2) One with an emphasis on Passiflora fruits and flowers (P. foetida and the two P. edulis) and 3) just P. foetida seeds. We'll see.

On a different note: a question I've had is whether nurseries can join in and donate items. Andrew (adnedarn) I believe answered yes, but I don't remember the details. If it is indeed OK, I hope people are contacting them, and making sure they are aware that it would benefit all sides. Getting people hooked on their plants is always good. Even donating something like a surplus Nepenthes seedling could help. Donating a larger package of several plants (again if it's allowed) would generate a lot of excitement.
We would be so grateful for any items donated. Thank you!

I have a few small mounted orchid divisions I'll offer--Dendrobium aphyllum, Isabelia pulchella, and maybe some others. Definitely interested in bidding on unusual Anthurium and other non-carnivorous tropicals, though as in years past my major interest will probably be obtaining various Utricularia.

What you said:
I'll offer--Dendrobium aphyllum, Isabelia pulchella, and maybe some others.

What you meant to say:
I'll offer--Dendrobium aphyllum, Isabelia pulchella, and many others. ;)

Last edited:
A bog lily that few people have heard of, and even fewer keep. Maybe a bog orchid or 2. Some seed from the rare, naturally occurring hybrid of our 2 eastern Triantha species, racemosa and glutinosa.

Last edited:
A bog lily that few people have heard of, and even fewer keep. Maybe a bog orchid or 2. Some seed from a rare naturally occurring hybrid of 2 Triantha species.

A bog lily that few people have heard of, and even fewer keep. Maybe a bog orchid or 2.

A bog lily that few people have heard of, and even fewer keep. Maybe a bog orchid or 2.
Hey, long time no hear. Do you still grow Passiflora 'Sunburst', or know anyone who does? A couple friends are looking for it. I no longer have it.

Yo Sub! Been a long time. I haven't visited Orchidboard in ages. Don't know if you're still spending a lot of time there.

Hey, long time no hear. Do you still grow Passiflora 'Sunburst', or know anyone who does? A couple friends are looking for it. I no longer have it.
Sorry, no I don't.

Anemopsis Californica or Yerba Mansa edible bog plant. Native to Arizona, too.

My friend sent many Passiflora foetida fruits. Also three Passiflora edulis fruits, but I haven't isolated those seeds yet. The P. edulis fruits are bigger, and will likely have more seeds per fruit.

Passiflora foetida is a plant which displays some elements of carnivory. The consensus right now is that it is probably not carnivorous.

One amazing feature of Passiflora foetida is that it can be grown as an annual, quickly blooming and fruiting from seed.

The flowers. Note the fascinating sticky bracts, which surround the buds and fruit.

Passiflora foetida flower plus fruits.jpg

The flowers are beautiful

Passiflora foetida flower.jpg

The fruits she sent. These contain about 20-30 seeds each. They are tasty, but small:

P. foetida fruits from Karyn May 6, 2023.jpg

The seeds:

P. foetida seeds from Karyn 1 May 6, 2023.jpg

The rest of the seeds!

P. foetida seeds from Karyn May 6, 2023 2.jpg

I'm guessing maybe 800-1000 seeds? I'm looking for creative ways to distribute these. Some will go into 2 or 3 auctions. But then I'll have a few hundred more, still.

The seeds, of course are fresh. I just received the fruits yesterday.

I just snuck some Nepenthes seeds into a P. foetida auction. I'm hoping they don't get missed. I just got a whole bunch on Friday, so I removed a few. These are from a highly respected member of this group--he's posted some of the best Nepenthes photos. My understanding is that his seeds are fantastic.

These are Nepenthes ventricosa x vogelii, it looks like 20-25 seeds. They should be a very interesting cross:

Nepenthes ventricosa x vogelii, TF seeds .jpg

I sowed probably two or three hundred seeds yesterday...

Back