What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a good begginer ping?

I am thinking of getting another ping since my last one died(little black bugs destroyed it). I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for some easy to grow pings. i could either keep it in the terrarium that my vfts and sundews are in, or i can put it in its own small terrarium if that would be best. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
ktulu

Primuflora is a good starter ping

PM me I can send you a P. moranensis, its the perfect starter ping.

Aahhhhh...does the heart good to see kindness like that.
biggrin.gif

That was so nice of you Kayaker.
smile.gif

You know, just about any ping is a beginner ping in my opinion, I find them all very undemanding. I think the two examples given are good ones too. Another favorite is P. cyclosecta.

What about P. Vularis as a beginner plant? There's one at a local garden shop (which I want to patronize more ofte due to the fact that they actually treat their CPs pretty well), and I'm debating a purchase (I want to, but I may be running out of room in my 10gal tank). So, any opinions?

Hey,
P. Vulgaris can be a good begginer plant if given the correct conditions. They are a temperate ping, growing in northern America and Europe. They need really cold temps during their dormancy, and they can't be kept to warm....where do you live. I grow mine outside all year long here in Washington state.
Kevin

I'll be living in Richmond, VA for the next four years (College! Whee! ), and I hope to be able to grow my purps on the east facign sill and put all the rest of my plants (including the ping, if I get it) into a 10gal tank under a 100watt CF bulb. How's that for a good plan? (I'd put the vulgaris on teh sill since it faces east, but the heating unit is right under the window). Also, would refrigerator dormancy work with pings?

EDIT: Curses! I checked out that garden place, and someone apparantly bought the vulgaris
mad.gif
. However, there was still a nice looking Lutea there. Any opinions on Lutea as a beginner plant?

Back