What's new

What will come now? Plantwise that is.

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
In May of 2007 I had major cervical spine surgery. During my recovery my having a few sundews among the orchids to control fungus gnats developed into a full fledged interest in CPs. As a get well gift my family put in a half whiskey barrel bog where I could sit on the front porch and watch all the activity around it.

Flashing forward to this month. Due to complications I'm having a much rougher recovery so far. Leading me to wonder. What new, if any, interest will spring forward during this recovery.

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
Flashing forward to this month. Due to complications I'm having a much rougher recovery so far. Leading me to wonder. What new, if any, interest will spring forward during this recovery.

Starting your own vineyard?

Radagast

NECPS Editor
I like the vineyard idea! A few ideas: bonsai, air plants, companion bog plants, Proto-carnivorous plants like Stylidium.

How about acquiring full scotch barrels ( other spirits are available ) and eventually converting them to mini bogs?

Planted aquariums would be easy on a healing back, just use a python or pond pomp for easy water changes. And for laughs, grow some Peter Peppers!

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Leaning in two directions now

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the ideas. I have decided on two projects, totally different directions.
The first was actually inspired by a convo in the chat room the other day. I already have one indoor microbog just kind of thrown together with a uteric and some volunteer sundews. I will be making a few planned ones wiht landscaping and deliberately chosen plantings.

The second is yet to be decided. I would love to start a collection of a new to me genera of plants that meet the following criteria: stay SMALL, tolerate low humidity, tolerate medium light, have some that aren't very expensive to start with, aren't airplants. I have a ten gallon aquarium with lighted hood to use for them. The room stays 70-75 degrees year round.

w03

Hmm, how about some of the SA Genlisea? G. flexuosa and G. repens come to mind.
Bigger-leaved utrics might also be nice. U. calycifida in particular tolerates poor light very well and forms some lush foliage.