Whats the biggest a flytrap....

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Hmmmm... I'm not sure... I was wondering the exact same thing today. It's probably 3-4 inches... anyone know?
confused.gif

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Where is this information coming from? Its always good to have documentation to back up "statistics." Anyone have a book or website to refer to? It would be interesting to see.
smile.gif

Suzanne

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I recently got a Big Mouth Venus flytrap that is very young and not very big. I believe the Big Mouth Venus is able to produce traps at 2 inches.

As for a common venus flytrap, they can be over 1 inch and can also approach 1 1/2 inches.

Here are my largest traps (these are commons):

DionaeaTrapSize1.jpg

DionaeaTrapsSize3.jpg

Cynic81

Frakkin Toaster
I saw VFTs with traps at least 3 inches long at the North Carolina Botanicla Garden's bog garden.

Naw..the biggest one is a 2 inch trap from Mike king. Mike if you read this do post a pic for us if you can.

Nick, I also have a bigmouth, to make sure it's real, do you notice any different colour in the traps? It produces intense purple traps, mines is only light purple at the moment.

3 inch trap would be huge! My biggest trap is about an inch...most of them are smaller.
rolleyes.gif
Maybe someone could post a picture of their 2 to 4 inch trap here
alien.gif
. Nice flytraps Nick!
smile.gif

Tra is

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Mine aren't all that impressive, but then again I've only had them for about 2 years. The biggest traps I've had are about 3/4"-1".

Wes

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Just to let everyone know, the photos I posted above are not of my Big Mouth. My Big Mouth is just coming out of dormancy as it was an import from Australia. I did not import the plant either as someone else had already done the importing.

I have a "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright" VFT with traps approaching 2 inches long. I got the plant last summer from Phil Faulisi. I am hoping for really monster sized traps for our NECPS CP show in October - Halloween & CPs how cool will that be!!

The plant is sooooo awesome cause I can feed it wasps and the traps don't rot from too large a meal.

When I get some film I will take some pictures. Maybe I can carefully place a Quarter in it for scale too.

WildBill

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Here is one of mine...don't know if it is a particular cultivar as the CPs at my local greenhouse are never specifically labeled. But its got some dang big traps! There's a 50-cent piece for reference.

largetraps7-03RS.jpg

schloaty

Staff member
Supporter
Holy moly Plantakiss! That's huge!
My biggest VFT has traps about 1 1/4 inches. The plant itself has a diameter slightly greater than a two liter soda bottle. I'd guess around 6 inches...maybe a little more.

Bill,
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright" VFT with traps approaching 2 inches long. I got the plant last summer from Phil Faulisi. I am hoping for really monster sized traps for our NECPS CP show in October - Halloween & CPs how cool will that be!!
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You ARE going to make some cuttings of that sucker, right?
rolleyes.gif
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildBill @ Aug. 04 2003,05:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have a "Red Rosette Giant x Burgundy Trap Giant Upright"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Too much of a cross will make the plant revert to a typical plant, esp. crosses of flytraps barely different from a typical. Some of my large typicals last year sent out monster traps that are quite capable of eating a wasp! Too bad they are too crowded in the pots, wich leads to smaller growth.