What's new

wild betas

I have 7 fish tanks and i was thinking about adding a 10 gallon, short finned wild betta to my arsinal. I want a betta under the genus macrostoma. I know its immoral i wanted to breed them even though the're fighting bettas. Dose any one know where i can find or buy one.

thankx

Hi Lithopsboy,

Betta macrostoma is a very rare fish and very expensive. We are talking $100-$200 a pair -- if you can find them. The good news is the males don't really fight like with Betta splendens. There is a listserve a guy from Brunei runs devoted to macrostoma. I think its called <bruneibetta>. It may be a yahoo group. They could help you find some. They are difficult to keep and even harder to breed. Now there are many other species of Bettas. I used to raise Betta strohi -- a 4" greenish-black mouthbrooder. Betta albimarginatus is gorgeous, as is Betta rutilans. Macrostoma isn't a genus it's a species. Betta is the genus. Take a look at the Anabantoid Society of Great Britain webpage and the International Betta Congress webpage.

Bobby