What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter.... For sarracenias

Hilla!!, i can buy some sarracenias, but i hate plants sleep, i mean so scared they are dead!!!, but i tink i need live w that feeling, but all sarracenias need sleep in winter?, how much longer?, can i have them in mi terrarium?, thanks for the help, have patience remember im beggining again
smile_l_32.gif

In winter, Sarracenia need cool conditions, with temperatures close to freezing. This "cooling off" dormancy period extends from Dec. to Feb., and is important to give the plant a rest. During this time, most Sarracenia will produce "Winter Leaves", called Phyllodia. These are flat, blade-like leaves without the carnivorous pitcher shape, allowing photosynthesis, so the plant can store up energy in its rhizome in the ground. In spring, a mature plant will burst fourth with flowers and a fresh crop of pitchers.

Sarrs need a dormancy, otherwise they will eventually grow themselves to death. Short daylight hours in combination with less water will keep the plant dormant. Terrarium growers must also give their Sarrs a rest period. Feel free to PM us with any other culture questions.

You could always wait two months, buy and then come back to us about dormancy in the fall.

OK, thanks for the information, ok i will buy a purpurea and a farmahani?, (dont remember the name), be sure in fall i will come for help
smile_m_32.gif
thanks.

Back