What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would an open terrarium with proper drainage holes work for a Venus fly trap, I am a strict indoor grower

• Thread starter joshua m
  • Start date
I need to know because I have severely low humidity in my home right now, I don’t have anything but 20% - 10% humidity indoors, I cannot grow outside due to a recent aphid and mealybug, spider mite outbreak, I do not like the outdoors for my plants AT ALL!! I need to know if an open terrarium with proper drainage (drainage holes) in a old plastic container would work, I have no problems with terrariums because I have had many other plants thrive in open terrariums that need somewhat higher humidity because they like it, but I don’t know about a fly trap, I have some good grow lights rated at 30000 lux and that’s good enough according to icps- international carnivorous plants, or whatever but I have had great luck at my old Place with no terrarium but I also think it keeps it wet longer, but my plants dry out faster here even with water trays, I need some advice please!

That should work. I'm not sure what you mean about the drainage holes but I gather you know that vfts need to be in standing water. Some have grown them in quite low humidity but I don't know what the limits are.

That should work. I'm not sure what you mean about the drainage holes but I gather you know that vfts need to be in standing water. Some have grown them in quite low humidity but I don't know what the limits are.
I read online it should not be lower than 50% but it should be above 50% according to the North Dakota state university

There is no need to worry about humidity for Dionaea. Putting them in any sort of enclosed space is risking not being able to give them enough light without cooking them, or upping the risk of fungal infection. If I can have them outside in my dry summers, they'll be fine if acclimated for you.

There is no need to worry about humidity for Dionaea. Putting them in any sort of enclosed space is risking not being able to give them enough light without cooking them, or upping the risk of fungal infection. If I can have them outside in my dry summers, they'll be fine if acclimated for you.
I’ve already explained the pest issue I do not grow outdoors after I pissed away 300$ worth of fly traps I will not risk it again, but again, it isn’t enclosed it’s fully open, I have good grow lights, I do not have to worry about fungal infections, I have bioadvanced but not enough to treat an entire colony of pests, that’s why I said I’m not an outdoor grower, I am a strict indoor grower, do not want to have a replay of summer of 2022, never again will I grow outdoors, now I can understand the dry summers part, but I’m in Texas not any where ideally I want to grow anything I care about outdoors, so I need proper advice please, not about the horrible so called "great" outdoors!

For what it's worth - I grow some of my flytraps indoors in a brightly lit terrarium at about 70% humidity and they do fine there. They certainly don't need that much moisture in the air but they are o.k. with it, tho' you have to be careful with feeding solid food due to fungus. Instead I use liquid Maxsea. 'Sounds like your setup, Joshua, will be much less humid and you may not have to be concerned about that.

My advice was proper, and wasn't necessarily at all about putting them outside, but if you're going to be snappy about what I said then I will bluntly say: grow them outside and figure out what the actual issue was, because it wasn't just the troubles of having them outdoors. If you have pest issues, treat them (and be mindful fungal infections are regularly not killed off by most of the easy access fungicides available like the Bayer products, in no small part because they often have resistance now, and most insect issues will be taken care of naturally if you aren't in an area where mass insecticide application has killed off every beneficial insect out there and the few left behind are readily dealt with using cheap solutions like Neem, Monterrey spray, and Orthene) and outdoors in Texas will not kill a flytrap native to the same climate zone. Unless you live in the desert west third of the state, wherein a slightly shadier than full sun location works just fine, they are suitable for that region in full sun outside and being outdoors was not what caused whatever disaster you are now fearing. Loss of plants is part of the game if you ever want to successfully grow them, it's part of the learning processs, the trial and error, and pests will be part of the issue at some point or other, if you don't learn how to deal with them across your entire collection now, you will end up eventually with another decimated collection of soft plants later.

Back