What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borneo and its nepenthes: a pictorial tour

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Oh, don't worry, I still have one more thing saved.
smile_m_32.gif

Priceless pics. Worthy of several hours, (days...), of research. This should be stickied and become required viewing for any new, (or old), nepaholic. Thanks so much for sharing these with us!

Best thread here for ages!

The last thing I had saved was the following.  Without doubt the largest Nepenthes pitcher I have ever seen.  This was truly a sight to behold!

Charles Clarke, in his great work "Nepenthes of Borneo", writes that N. rajah pitchers reach a maximum size of 35 cm in length and 18 cm in width.  I can tell you this pitcher was larger for sure!  There was even a colony of mosquito larvae inside!

picture1525eu.jpg

574d49313tf.jpg

picture1660xq.jpg

im0000383ct.jpg

im0000349tv.jpg

Once again, I have too many photos to post them all, so if there is anything you would like to see in particular then please let me know.

Hope you enjoyed the photos,
Michael.

Any pics of lowii, kinabuluensis or alisaputrana?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (srduggins @ Sep. 19 2005,12:01)]Any pics of lowii, kinabuluensis or alisaputrana?
come one now steve dont be greedy
smile_m_32.gif

well i do wanna see some sibuyanensis or if possible see some copelandii? thanks! >;-D

Unfortunately no, sorry.  There were a few plants of N. lowii growing near the summit trail some years ago, but they have all since died.  To see N. lowii I would have to have visited Gunung Mulu National Park, but due to time constraints this was not practical.

I had a chance to see N. xkinabaluensis as it grows above the site of the N. villosa plants, but in the end never ventured that far.  

Regarding N. xalisaputrana, I spotted this young plant growing together with the N. burbidgeae and N. rajah plants. The colouration of the pitchers (spotting) as well as leaf shape seemed a bit unusual for N. burbidgeae, but I am no expert.

im0000582go.jpg

im0000578le.jpg

maybe a rajah x burbidgea?...:;):
the leaves look like rajah

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well i do wanna see some sibuyanensis or if possible see some copelandii

N. sibuyanensis is only found on Sibuyan in the Philippines.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]maybe a rajah x burbidgea?...:;):
the leaves look like rajah

That would be the aforementioned N. x alisaputrana
smile_m_32.gif

Wonderful pics; it's been one heck of a ride!

Cheers,

Amori

Will we get to view nepenthes rafflesiana on this tour?
biggrin.gif
Man, outstanding! That villosa looks like it's poised to kill with strait up teeth! Like shark teeth! I love it!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Sep. 18 2005,3:51)]Will we get to view nepenthes rafflesiana on this tour?
biggrin.gif
 Man, outstanding!  That villosa looks like it's poised to kill with strait up teeth!  Like shark teeth!  I love it!
smile_n_32.gif
See first page.
smile_m_32.gif

Oops, I forgot. It's been a long tour
biggrin.gif
. Are there any other species you haven't posted?

Nope, that's all eleven of them. I saw a few other species in the Singapore Botanic Gardens, but that's another story.

Amazing! I loved every bit of that! The yellow N. villosa was breathtaking!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nep_grower @ Sep. 18 2005,4:21)]Nope, that's all eleven of them. I saw a few other species in the Singapore Botanic Gardens, but that's another story.
Make another thread
biggrin.gif
Great pictures? did you have any problems with yoru camera do to teh environment?

When the clouds decended on the mountain it made it difficult to take decent photos - see final N. tentaculata photo.  Also, the rain obviously didn't help.  Otherwise the weather was quite pleasant.

As for the Nepenthes from the Singapore Botanic Gardens, they only had a few plants and nothing too spectacular.

Here's a N. ramispina from the SBG:

picture0479rf.jpg

picture0260xf.jpg

N. macfarlanei x sanguinea ?

I just remembered: there was also a small "Nepenthes Garden" near the city of Kuching in Sarawak.  They had Nepenthes from different localities, not just Borneo.  Off the top of my head I can remember N. truncata, N. rafflesiana, N. ampullaria, N. hirsuta, N. bicalcarata, N. veitchii, N. longifolia.

I guess after seeing all those spectacular plants in the wild, the cultivated examples paled in comparison.

Feel fre to post the pics when you have time
biggrin.gif

Here you go:

picture2007lj.jpg

N. bicalcarata

picture1935ki.jpg

Ditto.

picture1988yn.jpg

N. rafflesiana upper pitcher. Very different in colouration compared to those from Sarawak (see page 1).

picture1968gu.jpg

N. ampullaria - red form.

picture1866gd.jpg

Large lower pitcher of N. rafflesiana.

picture1830bq.jpg

N. truncata.

picture1904uk.jpg

N. hirsuta. Note hairs on tendril and compare to wild plants (pg. 1).

picture1876rm.jpg

N. veitchii

picture1882fe.jpg

Ditto.

Back