What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Borneo and its nepenthes: a pictorial tour

Since I still have some space left for hosting images I guess I might as well use it.
smile.gif

picture2959zm.jpg

N. ampullaria - green lower pitcher.

picture2613cl.jpg

Another N. rafflesiana upper from Bako NP.

picture2399af.jpg

Unusual form of N. rafflesiana with winged tendril (but not like var. alata).  This particular plant grew in full sunlight.

picture2541xn.jpg

N. albormarginata plants in habitat.

picture2293bl.jpg

Large mass of scrambling N. rafflesiana vines.

picture2336tf.jpg

Nepenthes weren't the only CPs in the area!  A Drosera of some sorts, any ideas?

picture3380za.jpg

When no shrub is around for support, N. gracilis plants scramble over the ground forming long strands such as this one.

picture2443om.jpg

N. villosa.

picture2672wz.jpg

N. hirsuta upper pitcher.

picture2649vu.jpg

N. albomarginata (green form) - two lower pitchers.

those are great pictures!

Do you have any more pictures of lower pitchers of rafflesiana?

Yes, I do. I will post them tomorrow.

Thanks,
Michael.

Michael,
Where was the Drosera photographed...Borneo?
I would think it's D. spathulata(the one that was called sp 8 Borneo for yesrs).
These are fanastic photos!

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

It was photographed in Bako National Park, Sarawak.

Thanks,
Michael.

Outstanding photos

Cough! Choke! Gasp!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

that raja and villosa win the prize!
great pics! Thanks for sharing!
Any edwardsiana???

simply breathtaking!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

The Rajah and Villosa look amazing.

Amazing!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
 Thank you for showing!!

-Jc

Mike the washed-out in photos is due to heat/water vapourised from your palm onto the camera lens or keeping camera near our body protecting against rain,while exposing the camera during photo taking vapour condensed on the camera and lens. The first photo show washed-out more serious at the centre ,disappeared towards the corner esp on top left which show normal exposure.You're not breathing on the lens,ain't u?
smile_m_32.gif
...Robert

Hi Robert,
I guess that solves the 'mystery' then!  I'm still learning.
smile_m_32.gif

I'll post the requested photos later today.

Michael.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rlhirst @ Sep. 18 2005,10:31)]Cough! Choke! Gasp!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

that raja and villosa win the prize!
great pics! Thanks for sharing!
Any edwardsiana???
The only place I am aware of where one would possibly be able to see a mature plant of N. edwardsiana is the Mountain Garden in Kinabalu National Park (Clarke, 2001). When I was there the plant was not on display and presumably being kept in the nurseries, which are off-limits to visitors.

Michael.

Mike, you're right it was off limit to visitors 'cos some invisible hands took some very rare and expensive orchids from the nursery in Kinabalu park. I saw the edwardsiana in my last visit near the nursery fence but as i dont have a longer lens ,strong wind,gloomy and cold i didnt try taking any photos. In Mesilau the park keeper had collected an edwardsiana plant from a location which is 8 hrs walk(one way),once the planting is successful he will plant more for all visitors to see.My visit that was 5 months ago...
smile.gif

Un B. LIEVABLE!!!!! Thanks a million for sharing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rbjong @ Sep. 19 2005,3:03)]Mike, you're right it was off limit to visitors 'cos some invisible hands took some very rare and expensive orchids from the nursery in Kinabalu park. I saw the edwardsiana in my last visit near the nursery fence but as i dont have a longer lens ,strong wind,gloomy and cold i didnt try taking any photos. In Mesilau the park keeper had collected an edwardsiana plant from a location which is 8 hrs walk(one way),once the planting is successful he will plant more for all visitors to see.My visit that was 5 months ago...
smile.gif
Unfortunately it was not on display when I was there (about 3 weeks ago) otherwise I would have taken some photos!

I'm interested in what size the plant and pitchers were? Also, what colour were the pitchers, was it the red, orange or yellow form? Look forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Michael.

Mike, the peristome look yellowish and light red,3 upper pitchers was visible and look young by the light colours..Robert

We were extremely busy over the weekend and unable to hop on the forums. What a wonderful way to kick off an otherwise dreary monday morning!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'm sure over the course of the day I'll be going back to oggle your pics again and again.
Nep Grower, those pics of the hanging villosa pitchers: for some reason I think those might actually be N. Harryana, the natural hybrid of villosa x edwardsiana. Gotta admit i haven't seen too many villosa plants, so I could be way off, but the elongated shape and the waist rib remind me of pics I have seen of Harryana. Any opinions, gang?

Hi Trent,

That's an interesting point you raise.  

All the N. villosa (?) plants photographed (except the first two from the Kinabalu HQ trail) grew together in a relatively large and exposed area where it would be almost impossible not to spot them.  Charles Clarke writes that N. xharryana can be found on the summit trail to Mount Kinabalu, but much lower down the mountain and in a "well concealed site".

I personally feel that the plants pictured are N. villosa, as the pitchers are not elongated above the hip as in N. xharryana (Clarke, 1997) and not as cylindrical as I would expect of N. xharryana (based on the photos and description I have seen).

Anyone have any alternate views?  Here is one of the plants in question:

picture2106qx.jpg

Michael.

I see your point. Too globose for Harryana. And the waist rib is too high up the pitcher.
I've got a question about the albomarginata color forms you pictured. Were they all in the same general area, or were those from different places around Sarawak? Especially interested in the altitudinal range of the three colorforms you show-if they're from different areas.

All N. albomarginata were from the same general area - Bako National Park. All forms from approximately the same altitude as well (0-100m or so).

Back