What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mods- hamata

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Sep. 26 2005,2:54)]Many of the people who do have vining hamatas don't want to cut it for some odd reason.  Guess you can't be mad at them, it is a rare species, but all the same, please share the wealth
biggrin.gif
!
Not necessarily true. Some of us do cut our vines regularly but wish to not be bothered with the expectation or hassle to share them, so we just toss them. Yes....hamata included, at least in my case. Perhaps if you're patient and don't 'ask' people to share their plants you may see them offered up for trade or for free.

If I offered a free chunk of my hamata vine on here, I couldn't keep up with the replies. I personally will not lie, I have plenty of N. hamata material, but its too much of a hassle to offer it up, i don't have enough time as a full time student/part time worker to keep up with the requests and my life. This hobby is very time consuming when you have prior comittments!

that is true Ng but just think, you could quit the part time job and start selling plants instead, a hamata vine cutting will go for hunreds.

hundreds? i doubt it. ive have two neps far rarer than a hamata cutting and neither are worth hundreds. i wouldnt pay $100 for an unrooted cutting of hamata but i would for another cutting of the N. veitchii i already have if i had $100 to spare.

well, i thought hamatas were realy rare, ive search for an eternity but the prices are crazy

well actually they werent terribly rare about 18 months ago. lil spendy but not outragious and you could find them. the shortage only happened last winter/this spring. they can be had but begging is a sure way to not get one. like i said ive been searching, though not terribly activly, since April and ive got one that should be here this week and possibally a trade for another. the trade has been more or less lined up for the last two months but nothing is set in stone, the other was a total surprise i stumbled onto last week and was offered without me even asking for it, i had just contacted the grower about permission to use their photos. so sit back, be patiet and a hamata could very well come to you when you least expect it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (7santiago @ Sep. 27 2005,4:56)]that is true Ng but just think, you could quit the part time job and start selling plants instead, a hamata vine cutting will go for hunreds.
Don't you think I've already thought of that!
smile_n_32.gif

Back