What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mods- hamata

i found the only site i have ever seen that has hamata in stock would it be against the rules to state the site here on tereforums?
since petflytrap has no hamatas i dont think it would harm the site would it?

smile.gif

I can not answer that question.

Make sure that the site actually has N. hamata. When I was looking for mine I ran across 2 sites that had it listed, but when I called them they were not in stock.

yes it evan says its in stock, but the listing of the site scares me because i dont know if its against the rules.

but the prices on the other plants are outragous though extremely rare, so i dont think the site could ever compete with pet fly trap

Check the rules again. If there's no definitive answer, just post it and a mod will delete it and tell you if it's against the rules.

-D. Lybrand

Hi, thanks for asking before posting, although- PMing a mod would have been better. Although their prices may be higher than PFT and such, it would just be nice to not list any POSSIBLE competition... So, I would say not to post it. Although other mods might say it "might be okay" the admin have been so busy they are not really around to answer that.
andrew

Outragious prices? It must be!....... . Never mind. I like orchids though.

yeah, i know the site ur talking about. It's like 100 for hamata and 50 for something like ventrata.

You shouldn't list a site, unless of course it in a different country, where nothing would compete with Phil from Europe,etc. And yah, thats overpriced ;)

$100 is awful expensive for a hamata, you could defintly find one for less. i thought i knew who you guys were talking about but i checked his website and he doesnt have any in stock. be patient and you will find one. they will hit the market again. ive been looking for on since April or so. think i finally got one but ill know for sure by the end of the week

I'm surprised there aren't more cuttings around for trade and sale. There are a fair number of mature hamata around, they grow like weeds and strike easily from cuttings...

My teeny baby hamata is slowly plugging along... Almost too slow for my taste... But hey, many years from now, I'm sure I'll offer cuttings- that is, if I don't kill it before that.
confused.gif
laugh.gif

Many of the people who do have vining hamatas don't want to cut it for some odd reason. Guess you can't be mad at them, it is a rare species, but all the same, please share the wealth
biggrin.gif
!

there are cuttings around for trade. not alot but some. most growers dont seem to be volenteering that they have them though i did stumble apon a cutting quite by accident. they are out there but for most newbie-ish growers with nothing to trade they probably wont here about them being availible, i do believe most of the trading just isnt happening in a public setting such as the trade forum here.

Maybe most people offer their cuttings to people they have establish relationships with, instead of just anybody.

i wouldnt quite say thats the entire case el, but its probably along those lines. i have found that most rare species period just arent offered on the trade forum cause they just dont sit around unclaimed for long. for most rare neps, atleast in my limited experiance, the cutting is probably traded off before a knife is taken to the vine. i had trades loosly set up for cuttings off of my striped veitchii before i had them rooted and started to my satisfaction. as far as other plants, most divisions of my rarer Utrics and stuff are claimed long before they would have a chance to wind up on the trade forum, just the nature of the game. you generally know who is after the rarer stuff and there generally ist alot of reason to go through the hassel of the trade forum.

Yea. That's just some people. When my plants do get large, I consider it one of my goals to propagate them and distribute them publicly to the average grower. I'd probably sell them for $50 or less, despite any rarity.

actually i dont think ive ever sold a CP, i have charged someone $20 for packaging up 20 some Utrics but that was more for the hassel of taking and properly labeling 20 some plugs plus priority mail, not because i was out to make $$. i would much rather trade for stuff i dont have than to sell. i tend to come out better in trade as far as im concerned anyways
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Sep. 26 2005,3:54)]Many of the people who do have vining hamatas don't want to cut it for some odd reason. Guess you can't be mad at them, it is a rare species, but all the same, please share the wealth
biggrin.gif
!
I suppose they're afraid it might hurt the nep. And probably, as well, they know if it goes on the trade forum they will be bombarded with more responses than they can cut their plant up into.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lol @ Sep. 26 2005,3:54)]Many of the people who do have vining hamatas don't want to cut it for some odd reason. Guess you can't be mad at them, it is a rare species, but all the same, please share the wealth
biggrin.gif
!

I suppose they're afraid it might hurt the nep. And probably, as well, they know if it goes on the trade forum they will be bombarded with more responses than they can cut their plant up into. Has anyone noticed a decline in trading, even all through summer?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When my plants do get large, I consider it one of my goals to propagate them and distribute them publicly to the average grower. I'd probably sell them for $50 or less, despite any rarity.

Not that easy to do, I say. We'll see when we get there.
smile.gif

Back