What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need answers

yeah i had it hanging in a window and then i noticed the spots on the leaves. i moved it to the floor where it gets both natural an artifical light. the light is just a grow light bulb i bought at lowes. so the elongated growth isn't good? how do i take a cutting and what do i do with it? i got the plant from a grocery store a year ago and haven't had much luck. here in tx right now we've got highs in the upper 90's and lows in the mid 70's. i tried it outside and just continued getting spots. yes our house is air conditioned it has to be with temps above 100 in the summer. i'm pretty sure it's a miranda from all the research i've done. so should i attach another light to the opposite wall so it gets more light?

Light shouldn't be ur only concern. Like I said, I too have a DeRoose hybrid similar to yours that isn't pitchering even though it gets plenty of light. Humidity is pretty important. Mine only doesn't pitcher because it is now inside the house due to cooler temps outside. Take Chloroplast's advice and use the water tray method. It works for orchids and should work for neps.

-D. Lybrand

If the grow light is one of those incandescent spotlight type grow bulbs.. toss it out and get a 35w+ compact fluorescent bulb and get it right down close to the plant.  If you can find one bigger than 35w great! If it is a daylight/sunlight instead of soft white that would be super too!

If you  have a good spot that gets a good amount of natural sun though.  I would stick with relocating it.  Since the plant is used to fairly dim lighting, risk of burning some leaves is high.  You need to do it slowly to minimize this but once you go for it, stick with it.  New leaves will do fine in the brighter light and shouldn't burn.  Perhaps at some point you can cut it back too and get a nice compact bushy plant from the base of the vines.  

As for a cutting, just remove the top of one vine.. with about 4 leaves.  Slice the stem just through the outer layer, vertically at the bottom of the cutting for about 1 inch long.  If your stem isn't a few inches long below the lowest leaf then remove one leaf so you have enough bare stem to bury.  Then stick the cutting in a pot with some well moistened mix and firm it down.  Put the pot and cutting in a ziplock and put it under bright indirect light. If the leaves are too big to fit in the bag then you can cut the ends off a bit to fit.  It will take a couple months to start rooting well.  Just check periodically for proper moisture etc.

Outdoors I think you could do well also, but some protection from midday sun would probably be necessary.  Perhaps some other TX area folks could help with that info.

Tony

Aww, shucks....not a N.gracilis.  Tony, do I still get credit for guessing?!  
smile_m_32.gif

it's already in a tray. and yeah the light is a spot light type grow light. i have few windows that get alot of sun and my birds are next to those. i will look for a different light to put on it. i think i might try starting a clipping and start it outside before i put the whole thing out and kill it. how close to the light should i put it? it's already pretty close. hopefully with all your help i can make progress and post pics for you to see.

The problem with those spotlight bulbs is they are very hot. To get sufficient light intensity the plant would need to be well within the fried to a crisp distance from the bulb. IF you can find a nice 35w+ compact fluorescent bulb and get that right down near the plant, it might help some. CF bulbs run pretty cool so even 6" from the plant there shouldn't be a problem with burning the leaves. They are also cheaper to run and produce more light beneficial for the plants
smile_m_32.gif

I think in the long run though you would do much better to grow them in a nice bright naturally lit window. Our sun isn't quite as hot here but I have a N. ampullaria in my East window and a N. copelandii in my West window. They get full sun for as long as it shines through the glass, which on average is for about 6 hrs a day on either side of the house. The rest of the day it's just bright indirect light.

Tony

Back