What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much do neps hate to be in standing water?

Hi Folks,

I have my Neps in mostly hanging pots with attached trays that hold about 1/2" of water. I water them overhead and make sure to "over water" them so the trays are running over; I do not fill the trays only as I do my other CP's.

Do you think the Neps would be happier if I removed the trays altogether and just let them drain? Do they hate standing water THAT much?

Thanks!

-N

for me i do use trays and i do what you do, over fill them. just make sure to clean the trays every once in a while, thats all!

I keep trays under all my Neps. What I do is top water them and let the extra drain into the trays, where it sits until it evaporates. I've yet to have any problems with this method, so I think the answer to your question is "Not much at all."

hey LLeopardGGecko, it does work, huh? it also bring up the humidity if you grow nepenthes as windowsill as i do!

Just make sure that the water in the trays evaporates before watering again. Neps don't like to sit in water all the time like a sundew or VFT.

That ultimately depends on what species you're talking about, and also probably varies among individuals of the same species. I think it's submersion that's the big problem - Nep's roots seem to need exposure to air. If the bottom of the roots are touching water, it doesn't seem to be a problem.
~Joe

Nanook, I do as you do. The only Nep that did well in an open tray setting was my N. sanguinea.

Generally, I do the same with most of my neps. I water from the top and wait until it begins filling the tray then stop immediately. I won't water again until the tray water has totally evaporated and the top of the potting medium is barely moist. However, my neps in very loose material; if you're growing them in dense material (e.g., high in peat) then you must be more cautious as such soil, if persistently waterlogged, can prevent air from reaching the roots which leads to root rot/death.

I have found that the swamp dwelling species (N. ampullaria, gracilis, bicalcarata) actually grow better in water. My largest carpets of N. ampullaria are in mesh pots that sit in water almost daily as run off from my drip/mist system collect. Plus they are grown in almost pure coco bark/coco peat in mesh pots. One year after a heavy rain, they stood semi submerged water just below their carpet pitcher mouths for about three weeks until it didn't rain and dried out, but still sat in water at least four inches deep through the mesh pots. But remember I live in hot humid Hawaii so they have high humidity 24/7.

My larger N. bicals are also good growers in heavy clay-coco bark media. I have repotted plants fearing that they would not have a root system only to be surprised that they are not only root bound but have a thick network keeping the pot shape even to the drain holes molding.

I believe N. tobaica will also grow well with wet feet.

Michael

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RainforestGuy @ Sep. 30 2005,3:40)]I have found that the swamp dwelling species (N. ampullaria, gracilis, bicalcarata) actually grow better in water. My largest carpets of N. ampullaria are in mesh pots that sit in water almost daily as run off from my drip/mist system collect.
Second that! Whenever a typhoon approaches our area, I put the swamp neps on the shadehouse floor to avoid wind damage.
After every storm, the shadehouse is flooded up to three inches (the water drains off slowly), and every time I see growth spurts in said swampers, especially if there's been a hot and sunny day right after the typhoon's gone.

Last dry season I also installed large 8-meter trays which are temporarily filled with water as described above - as a measure to do automatic clog-free irrigation without installing electrical pumps. Also to keep humidity up. When I went for a one month vacation the trays remained full with 2cm of water.
Albo-marginata and ventricosa hated but survived it, truncatas got strange leaf spottings, ampullaria was soo happy, bical was also stressed. The other plants were relatively ok as far as I remember. Anyway the stress for the bicals and ventricosa could be also due to the hot and dry April/May.
Since May I am not using trays or watering at all, because of the rain. All plants are soo happy
smile.gif
Will reactivate the trays in December and collect more experiences.
Volker

Back