What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I finally have a monstar hamata!

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

errrr......ummmmm cute aint it?

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks again kind friend who took pity on me!

laugh.gif
monster! hey the two tips and leaves look small.

lol it is a bit on the small side but the price was right, cost of shipping, however the source wishes to remain un-named so dont bother asking me cause i wont tell. a lil TLC and i should have a decent plant before long. leaf tip to leaf tip is probably 1.5-2 inches but there are two growth points. very cool lil guy and i couldnt be happier with the lil fella.

I like it! And two growth points. Often times it is nicer starting out with small plants and growing them larger yourself. I had one of those, "I finally got one" moments last week, but mine was a ventrata. After 6 years of growing I finally have a ventrata! I too won't reveal my source...

really? lol you could have gotten one from me 6 months ago. however its going in a trade this week.

I LOVE THE PLANT!!!! A HAMATA WHERE!!!!! ok i know you dont want to reviel the source so dont respond to the last three words, you are so lucky to have such a mamoth and monstrosous nep
confused.gif
i think its too small but you got to start somewhere
smile.gif

Be careful! It looks very dangerous.

OMG watch your fingers!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
haha

It lookes great, And good luck growing it into a monster!

Its always fun if you have wanted one in a long time and finally gets it. I got a S.minor today (7'' high) small, but I have always loved it and wanted it, so Im really really happy today
biggrin.gif

Yeah, now you tell me I could have had one 6 months ago. Its actually been a lot of work keeping it out of my collection. I think I became biased against it by all the people wanting something else, (alata), and getting "stuck" with a ventrata. I finally see it for what it is, a fine looking, tough growing pillar to the entire Nep community - and before you ask, no I won't trade it for your hamata.

BTW, what is that brown stuff stuck to the bottom of the stem?

i think its a callus/scar tissue type thing. ive seen similar on cuttings of other plants but i havent worked with Nep cuttings enough to know if its normal on them.

That'll surely turn into a very nice plant in no time. I've found N. hamata to be the fastest grower in my collection (leaf/fortnight), even outpacing my ventrata.

Good luck and have tons of fun!

Amori

ha!
laugh.gif
is this true or are you bluffing!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shokuchuu @ Sep. 28 2005,5:06)]That'll surely turn into a very nice plant in no time. I've found N. hamata to be the fastest grower in my collection (leaf/fortnight), even outpacing my ventrata.

Good luck and have tons of fun!

Amori
Bluffing.
smile_n_32.gif
And I thought a leaf/week would be slow!? My ventrata and mirabilis is now putting out a leaf/3 days or less, and miranda is doing a leaf every 5 days (without pitcher).

Well strange, I find that the hybrids (ie. ventrata) are actually turning into vining monsters faster than the true lowlanders (eg. mira) even is SINGAPORE! Where the temp is 32*C through the day.

Jason

Now that is a monster
smile_m_32.gif

Bye for now Julian

It's going to be a while before it chews a hole through your ceiling.

Brian

Should I feel offended for being called a bluffer?
What I didn't say is that I ignore my ventrata for the most part and it grows in a less-than-optimal environment. Besides it's huge and doesn't deserve much more than it gets at the moment. Growers underestimate how vigorous some of the reputed "hard to grow" plants are, including young hamata. It's all a question of establishment.

Cheers

Amori

Back