What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What nep. species arnt in cultivation?

I have never heard of anyone having mapuluensis before. Must've been before my time. I mean, what the heck does it look like? I know it isn't commercially availible.

Unless saranganiensis is its own species and nobody has brought back live specimens, I think the only neps that nobody grows (private collections/botanical labs) are the ones we haven't discovered yet.

-D. Lybrand

I believe Nepgrower correctly answered the question.
Mapuluensis is in cultivation.
As far as I know, N. treubiana, the species found growing on seaside limestone cliffs in westernmost New Guinea, is not in cultivation. Only until recently, N. sumatrana and treubiana were considered the same thing based upon Danser's conclusion from dry herbarium specimens. Today we know they are distinctly different. As far as I have seen, all plants marked treubiana are the "Sumatran Form", which we know is really N. sumatrana.
Anyone having the New Guinea form of treubiana, I'd be interested in hearing from you
smile.gif

Both N. treubiana and N.kampotiana are in cultivation, I have seen them in collections.

I'd really like to see the New Guinea treubiana as like trent said the ones I've seen were sumatrana.

Lots of people have merrilliana though.

Nep_grower wrote:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Also, to my previous list of plants probably not in cultivation I'll add the elusive N. mollis.
I'm sure I've read somewhere that mollis may be an earlier name for hurrelliana, but as the original specimen of mollis is so poor (it doesn't have any pitchers) it's impossible to be sure. Certainly they're both from roughly the same area and both remarkably hairy.
Cheers,
T.

Lam_wn, they are photos from Malesiana Tropical's greenhouses.

Hamish

Yes, and there's even a N. klossii!

If only they had them for sale. And I had a lot of extra cash.

-D. Lybrand

Back