What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tis a nep that i need id'd

Nventrata0929two.jpg

Nventrata0929.jpg

I THOUGHT it was a ventrata and I posted this same thread on CPUK but it seems like it's got some people baffled. Any ideas? I rescued this from a Home Depot so I hope that narrows it down a little bit...since they don't really have any rare kinds or anything like that.

-(Kyle)-

I got this nep from a HD about 2 months ago and was told it was probably a ventricata. It looked like yours when i got it and developed the distinct yellow to red colouration after a few pitchers came and went:

take a look

P1010011.jpg

Example.jpg

Thas my guess

Zac

Kyle, I'd guess that's a ventricosa, by it's tubby pitchers. Could be other things though. Zac, you most certainly have an N. x ventrata, which is a hybrid of ventricosa and alata.
~Joe

Ventricosa has fatter pitchers though... I don't think it's a complete ventricosa it's not completely shaped like one. I really wanted a ventricosa so that's awesome if it really is one.

It still appears young. My ventricosa looks kind of like a bright red form of alata, but I've seen other plants from the same batch of seed and the larger ones have more expression in their pitchers. Like I said, I'm not sure, but my uneducated guess is ventricosa. I'm sure the more experienced growers will be able to tell you more confidently.
~Joe

Yeah I hope some of them chime in soon.

I kinda hope you're right though.

-(Kyle)-

Young ventricosa. I've worked with at least 100 young 'uns in one sitting in the past so I'd stick to what seedjar said.

Cheers,

Amori

Kyle I am going to go with N. Ventrata. I feel the leaves are too wide at the tips and too narrow at the stem for it to be N. ventricosa, which has leaves with almost parallel leaf margins. Also the angle of the pitcher opening is much greater than what I would expect for N. ventricosa. Time will tell for sure though!

Tony

Oh, that's a good point - my ventricosa has strap-shaped leaves too. I was only really looking at the pitchers. Maybe it's ventricosa x x. Ventrata? The pitchers are just too close to that hourglass shape to be plain old Ventrata. Keep your fingers crossed and we'll see.
~Joe

Ah...well I thought I came to a conclusion when my friend showed me a picture of his ventricosa "red" because it looks almost exactly like mine but I guess I should wait until it gets a little older. How long will it be until it has a mature pitcher on it?

Back