What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep dying

My Nep Is Dying And I Need help, i am growing it under artificial light. Today i tried kickeng up the humidity i hope it works. any othe suggestions would help thx

wow, you barly gave us anything to work with, give us the dirt
on how ya grow it.
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

How is it dying? From the tip or from the base? How long have you had it? Where did it come from? Is it in a tank or windowsill or what? I'm sure we can help.

-D. Lybrand

Well...I bought it from Petflytrap. I am using the same soil it was shipped in. I have it in a large plastic container w/ plastic wrap over the top of it. I have had it for probably 8-9 weeks at the most. My leaves started getting brown spots on them and then died i have about 2-3 leaves that are still green. I thought at first they were just dying because of the age odf the leaf but then I noticed that the plant is not making new leaves. Righnt now i have it outside in the container to see if that helps any but was previously growing it under a grow light. By the way I live in southern California

What species is it? It sounds like the plant is dying from bottom-to-top with no new growth which leads me to think it's dying too little light and/or root rot, though it's hard to say based on the information and no picture. Here's a few questions:

1. LIGHT:
a. What type of grow light (fluorescent, incandescent, etc.) and how many watts?
b. Is this the only source of light the plant has?
c. How far from the plant is the light and for how long is it turned on?

2. WATER:
a. What do you water your plant with (tap, distilled, etc.)?
b. When do you water? Is the plant constantly sitting in water, soil always moist, or do you wait until its dry before watering again?

3. FERTILIZER: Have you ever fertilized the plant and, if so, how many times and with what?

4. BUGS: Do you notice if there are any bugs or webs on the plant, or does the top of the soil look nasty and slimy?

5. HUMIDITY, TEMPERATURE: If you bought the plant from this forum, it's probably a tough variety, so these parameters probably aren't the cause of its decline, unless really extreme.

Answering these questions will help us determine what's causing your plant to decline.

1. Flourecent light not sure how many watts plant is probably a foot or so from light.
2. I used distilled made the mistake of using tap on my vft. I mist the plant and soil once evry other day or to keep it moist.
3. Never used fertillizers
4.Haven't noticed any bugs.
5. At this time i am trying my plant outside in the container to raise humidity and ammount of sunlight. Hopefully it helps.

i know 3 people that live by. trades and some giveaways are much easier when u live close by

Oh NO! My plant only has 2 1/2 laves left green. I'm afraid ive probably killed another one!

no just trim the dead stuff on the leaves. dont trim the live green part of the leaves

From your reply, the plant may not have been getting enough light if it was 12" away from a fluorescent as the only light source. Or, if you were just misting the surface of the soil, it may not have been getting enough water, but you would've probably noticed some wilting before the collapse.

If there are only two leaves left and they are browning as quickly as you say, the plant's roots and stem are probably dead. If you want to try saving the plant, you might want to try cutting the stem 2 leaves below the healthy leaves--check to see if the stem is alive. If it is, you can try rooting the cutting. If not, continue to cut until you find a living portion of the stem then try rooting from there.

My plant is quite small so define for me a living portion. and actually today I didn't lose any leaves the green ones stayed green although they do have a couple brown spots as they did before. I think putting them outside and raising the humidity helped it.

I didn't realize it was tiny or that its condition stabilized. If these are the case, then attempting a cutting is probably not wise.

In any case, if humidity is really helping it, you may want to consider enclosing it in a clear plastic bag with a few small holes (for aeration). Also, since you are placing the plant outside, you might want to be cautious--a plant not accustomed to high light should be acclimated before being exposed to it else its leaves may burn.

Good luck with your plant.

Back