What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

They don't look like n. ampullaria

Hi
smile_h_32.gif

It's my first time growing N. ampullaria from tissue culture which I bought last year.The bottle labelled 'N. ampullaria' with certification paper from one lab. Now those plants grow so well with pitchers on every leaf end.What a problem is all pitchers are cylindrical and the lids are round , no unique character of ampullaria at all.
      Something wrong ? Or they need time to develop ?
      Thanks for your opinion
          Nong
URL=http://www.neofarmthailand.com/index.php?lay=show&ac=article&Id=205119&Ntype=777]Picture[/URL]

AMIRAN7323.jpg

I did a bit of copying and pasting to the address bar and found this picture. I then followed through with the Image tab and more copy & paste. Is this the picture?

that one looks like my anamensis a while ago. no tendrils..

That's crazy, the way the pitchers are attached without tendrils. What's up with that? It's certainly not ampullaria - the lids are totally wrong, and the peristome doesn't have that inward slant to it. It appears to me to have some sort of mutation, like many TC plants. Of course, I suppose it could be an ampullaria, but it's mutation supresses the ampullaria characteristics. Whatever it is, it's a keeper - you could call it "Nepenthes sanstendrilis." I wonder what it would look like if it tried to make an upper pitcher.
Thanks for sharing!
~Joe

Sometimes TC mutations disappear over time. Still, I agree- that looks nothing like ampullaria.

-D. Lybrand

There is very little you can tell from a plant that small recently from TC. There is nothing unusual about the way it looks. It wouldn't suprise me if it started to look like N. ampullaria in 6-12months.

Tony

I've never seen any pitchers without tendrils before... Tony, do you mean to say that this is a typical occurance in young TC plants? I've seen leaves without pitchers or tendrils, and pitchers on tendrils without leaves, but never a leaf and pitcher with nothing in between. Very interesting.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...that this is a typical occurance in young TC plants?

I've found that all seedlings start out that way, TC or not.

Amori

Hi Sborirak:

I agree with Tony: that's how most small plantlets look when they are very young. You'll have to wait at least another year before you see the real characteristics of the plant.
Mutations occur in nature and in TC, i guess, but not so many as to change the the overal characteristics of a particular plant.

so please, be patient and good luck
smile.gif

Gus

Ah, I guess I'm just judging the scale poorly then; to me it appears to be much larger than seedling size in the photo.
~Joe

Joe, It may well not be all that small. TC produces some odd things because plants grow fast they can get to a good size but still display very juvenile characteristics.

I find that plant age is very important for Nepenthes to show their typical characteristics. An older smaller plant grown in less ideal conditions will show more mature characteristics than a larger younger plant grown in much better conditions.

Tony

Pitchers without tendrils are very common for basal shoots that appear over time.
smile.gif
I see them all the time on a particular N.gracilis I own.

Thanks for all comments. Yes , I agree with Cindy. All Nep. grown by seeds in my experience develop pitchers without tendrils when they were small . I put more photos of Viking x veitchii babies and Red Tiger babies in the same old URL . (Sorry I don't know how to insert pics in this board)My Webpage

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedjar @ Oct. 02 2005,5:40)]I've never seen any pitchers without tendrils before... Tony, do you mean to say that this is a typical occurance in young TC plants? I've seen leaves without pitchers or tendrils, and pitchers on tendrils without leaves, but never a leaf and pitcher with nothing in between. Very interesting.
~Joe
Typical occurance alright, my young TC raff/hookeriana already has spots and the pitchers are still attached to the leves w/ out tendrils...

Back