What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in the winter

I know that Nepenthes don't require a dormancy period since they're tropical, but I've been reading that even the tropical CPs experience a significant slow-down in growth over the winter months. Is this true? If so, how does it affect Nepenthes? Do all their pitchers dry up? Do they stop producing pitchers? It's my first winter growing CPs and I just want to know what I'm in for in the Nep department.

Also, if anyone here grows any other tropical CPs (I'm sure most of you do) like sundews or bladderworts, please apply the above concerns to them as well. Do sundews lose all their dew? Do bladderworts stop flowering?

it depends. someone growing their plants in a greenhouse will experiance different things than someone such as myself who grows 90% of there stuff under lights with lil help from the sun. i dont experiance much of anything different with tropical species other than it seems when my Neps have bloomed its in the early spring or late fall. the only other thing is sometimes i have more problems in the winter with humidity between it being dang cold outside and the central air inside which mainly causes problems with new pitcher production with my Nepenthes

Ah, I see. I also grow most of my plants inside under flourescent lights, so then I probably won't see much a difference in growth. Good to know!

My Neps mostly stop pitchering and some lose the pitchers they had. A big part of the problem seems to be that the big ones go in windows where they don't get anywhere near enough sun. Plus they have the same humidity problem Rattler mentioned. But my Sarrs don't have pitchers in the winter either, so it's OK with me.

Do you grow your plants under artificial lights, besides the ones you put in windows?

What happens to neps grown outside? I grow my neps outside, I don't have any articifical lights or anything, will they survive? I live in florida, so the winters aren't that cold, at least not here in Miami,

yeah me too!
smile_h_32.gif
well not in florida but in southern cal

Even for us in sub-tropical regions of the US, such as SoFla, will see Nep growth rate slow down. It's mainly caused by the shorter photoperiod. Pitcher loss or damage to the plant will occur when a cold front moves through, resulting in humidity drops and cold temps. It depends on the cold front. Some are weak, others are an arctic blast that can devastate a beautiful set of pitchers.

I started growing Neps last winter.  I grow intermediates in my basement, under lights with a 12-14hr photoperiod, and I have good humidity.  My plants grew, and formed pitchers, but the cool temps slowed them down a bit.  I actually got larger and better pitchers during the winter compared to the summer...most likely do to the cooler temps, which my plants seemed to prefer.  

As mentioned, the problem with greenhouses in temperate climates is the shortened photoperiod.  Under lights that shouldn't be a problem. I received my Neps from a greenhouse last winter and they looked a little pale and weak, but they perked right up once I put them close to the lights.

Brian

Back