What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got some new pics. First, this is kinda small still, but I almost jumped when I saw the latest N. truncata x lowii pitcher:
(EDIT: WHOOPS, it's N. veitchii x lowii)
N_truncata_x_lowii.sized.jpg

I thought this was cool. It's the first pitcher off a new basal rosette. It was only the second leaf, and it wasn't quite up to the task yet:
N_alata_luzon_red_speckled_freak.sized.jpg

Here's a pitcher from the main vine of the same plant:
N_alata_luzon_red_speckled7.sized.jpg

Here's a new N. bongso pitcher, and an older one. This shows the color range on this plant:
N_bongso_3.sized.jpg

Here's a neat plant. It's N. maxima var curtisii, but was sold to me as N. maxima x albomarginata. Some of these pitchers are a year old and still perfect:
N_maxima_var_curtisii.sized.jpg

N. aristolochioides. Mine won't grow any bigger but makes LOTS of pitchers:
N_aristolochioides_7.sized.jpg

N. lowii x ventricosa. This is a big pitcher, and this one even has hairs under the lid like N. lowii:
N_lowii_x_ventricosa_3.sized.jpg

And finally, here's N. x mastersiana:
N_x_mastersiana_3.sized.jpg

Capslock

love the aristo, bongso is definatly a favorite. any clue as to how many different clones there are? yours appears to be identical to the one i got from Tony a year ago

That hybrid ID just might be correct on the so-called "curtisii". Take a close look around the peristome. You may see the vestige of the hairy band from albomarginata. I remember finding the same evidence on mine back in the early '80s.

Can you post pictures of your entire setup?
-Nick

There's that purple bongso again! Every time you post a pic of it, I say, "I'm definately going to order one of those!" but I never do. I'm so lazy...

Awesome pics! Where did you find your x mastersiana?

-D. Lybrand

well you should because mine should be comming in this thursday! its gonna be about 6" in diameter and will show the same charateristis as the ones that capslock shows!

Hi,
those are really beautiful plants and good pics!
You grow your plants with tray system? how high is the humidity and how often do you water? I like the nectar on mastersiana...
smile.gif

Thanks

Fantastic plants! I'm crazy about that trunc x lowii!

nice pictures as always.

Youre aristo is showing a interesting growth habit. What do you think is making it grow in such a fashion?

Edit: After staring at your aristo for a bit longer it does appear it has increased in size in comparison to the leaves low down on its rossette. Are you observing that its newer slightly bigger leaves from the older ones are increasing with each new leaf but have sort of met a size limit in each new leaf?

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
lovely plants capslock! I really loved the truncata x ventricosa and the aristo!!! Those plants are by far the greatest I have seen!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

rattler: that's about when I got mine, so they're probably the same clone. I don't know how many there are floating around, but this one seems to have darker pitchers than a lot of the pictures I've seen.

Walter: Yeah, I've considered it might be accurate, but there really is no sign of the white band. Also, from what I understand, maxima var. curtisii was thought to be the hybrid before they decided it's just a variety of maxima. I misspoke a bit when I say it was "sold" to me; I won it in a raffle as a pitcherless cutting at a BACPS meeting. At the same meeting, I got the lowii x ventricosa pictured above, but it was labeled burkeii x villosa (also a pitcherless cutting) so I have reason to doubt the accuracy of the labels from this batch.

NickZ123: this is an older picture, but it shows pretty much the way it is. It's a simple setup, just wire racks with cheap fluorescent tubes. The rack on the upper left now has T5 fluorescent tubes, and it's a lot brighter so I use it for the taller neps. The grow room is on my basement level, so it stays cool there, and we have good humidity in general in San Francisco, so I don't use terrariums or tanks at all.
Grow_room_1.sized.jpg

dlybrand,
Everyone asks me that! LOL! I found the mastersiana at tristanscps in Hawaii, but they don't often have it, and they're not that great at quick responses to email, so good luck!

Lam_wn: I don't really use a tray system. Some of the pots sit in a tray but it's just for the water that runs through the pots; they never sit in standing water. I water them about every other day. The humidity usually stays in the 60-80% range due to our naturally cool humid air. If we have a really dry spell, I just put an ultrasonic humidifier in the middle of the room, but that's only a couple times a year.

Flipside: I don't know why the aristo doesn't get bigger. It SLOWLY gets bigger on average, but the biggest leaf was about five leaves ago. At least it makes pitchers on each one, and they last a long time. I decided it's hungry for some nutrients so I crammed a koi pellet into a couple of the pitchers. They're hard to feed with those little pitcher openings!

I only feed the plants every couple of months, and I use dried crickets and koi pellets. Never any fertilizer; that scares me too much.

Capslock

Hi Capslock!

Your setup looks great. I liked the hybrids containing lowii but all plants look very healthy. Fertilizing is no miracle thing. If you want to try it, just put some fluid fertilizer in your water.

Without fertilizer I would never had grown this plant from seeds so fast:
http://jans-karnivoren.de.vu/bilder/forum/nepenthes-alata18.jpg
http://jans-karnivoren.de.vu/bilder/forum/nepenthes-alata19.jpg

2 years ago:
http://jans-karnivoren.de.vu/bilder/forum/nepenthes-alata01.jpg

And I used VERY few Osmocote pearls...a friend used more, now his plants is more than 25 cm in diameter, from the same seed batch (its pure N. alata).

Jan

Excellent plants, as usual.  The N. bongso looks like the plant formerly known as N. carunculata var. "robusta". I hope so, because it's the one that I'm going to get.

Has everyone seen Capslocks gallery?  http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/Capslocks-Plants

I'm still dizzy after looking at it 4 weeks ago!

Brian

Hallo JanW!
Nice post yours!
You have to know that I am slowing approaching to osmocote in perls like you already do.
The problem is that I have to give often water from the top, right? This to avoid concentration of Osmocote in terrain.Is this right?
Anyway...the best fertilizer I never heard about should be MIRACID...but it seems not more avaiable around....
Fine fine fine.Continue testing and to make new experiments with and without fertilizer.
See yah

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

How long did it take for the pitchers on the lowii x truncata to redden up for you?

What do you do with the N. aristolochioides! WOW

great pics Caps! I like the micro lowii pitcher! Your aristo looks like it wants to take off....go ahead give it a little fertilizer....mine went from exactly like yours to over 4 feet in less than a year after I began using fert.
Thanks for sharing!
Robin

Nice plants Capslock!

Jerry

Hi Caps
Wow great looking plants there,the trunc x Lowii is amazing.
Bye for now julian

do you have to clean the mylar alot? What does using the mylar in such a fashion entail ?

Back