What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moss?

Yesterday I went to the pet store and saw some green moss, is this kind of moss okay to keep humidity in a terrarium??

We may need some more information as most moss' are green. Did it have a label? Can you give a description? Are you putting it with plants or just inside the terrarium for humidity?

Zac

If it's called "green moss" then it's the wrong moss. You could line your terrarium with it, but you couldn't allow your plants to be in contact with any water that had been in contact with the green moss. Pure sphagnum is the safest bet; if it doesn't say sphagnum, it's probably not right.
~Joe

I just use the green moss for humidity i dont put it in the soil the pllant is using

Joe,one question, How do they produce sphagnum moss? It is artificially/commercially produced but exist in nature? I was talking to one of the sellers where the sphagnum come from New zealand in compact form and when submerged in water it swells to 2 times its size.

I am posting the pix moss which grow here and where many wild orchids just love to stick and grow on it. Is this moss suitable for growing neps and other orchids. Each strand of moss is 3 inches long. Can Moss be dried and use later?

Green moss/wild orchid
DSC_6993wildorchidalt1.jpg

Green moss
DSC_7050mossalt.jpg

I'm no mossologist, but this looks like some type of polytrichum. These haircap mosses are not traditionally used for CP culture, but they certainly coexist with CP in the wild. I know of several people who use sterilized (in a microwave or solar oven) polytrichum in their mixes for Nepenthes seedlings, and they seem to provide some key nutrients. Just be aware that any such mosses you collect out in the woods may well contain nematodes and fungal pathogens, so use them with caution.

Back