What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hanging basket disaster

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last week I had a bit of a disaster with my hanging baskets. I have 4 of them, and they arranged so that one is hanging from another, while 3 can hang from the outside kitchen window. Below them are the 2 minibogs. I water the Neps and the water that drains from them goes into the minibogs. But last week I came home from work and found that the two that were hanging from each other collapsed and I had one sitting atop of a minibog, squishing the D. binata & filiformis, while the other were overturned. I totally couldn't find a cocchinea cutting and the sanguinea was so bad off that I tossed it. All these weeks of being arranged like this, nothing happened. Hmmmm......

Do you mean that the cocchinea was missing? Or just that you couldn't find a healthy section to make a cutting of? If it is the former, then yeah, someone definately stole your plants. If the latter, possibly animals.

-D. Lybrand

The plant is MIA. It's not like it could have travelled far on its own, or that I couldn't find it in the media, either.

Almost certainly foul play, I think. You just grow 'em on your front porch in view of the road? Some greedy person probably couldn't figure out how to unhook the baskets and ruined your setup. When they couldn't get the cocchinea basket unhooked, they just took the cutting and ran. At least, that's my guess.

-D. Lybrand, Private Eye

Squirrels cause a lot of mayhem this time of year and that's the kind of thing they do. The solution is Brunswick Stew.

Oh, but theft is so much more interesting! Although this Brunswick Stew you speak of might have its merits...

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 09 2005,11:02)]Squirrels cause a lot of mayhem this time of year and that's the kind of thing they do.  The solution is Brunswick Stew.
Qu'est-ce que c'est, "Brunswick Stew?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 10 2005,8:02)]Squirrels cause a lot of mayhem this time of year and that's the kind of thing they do.  The solution is Brunswick Stew.
must try
smile_l_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

What is Brunswick stew?

What better place to find a recipe than at Remington's website?  My shotgun's a Winchester and is retired anyway, but Remington's recipe seems pretty typical.  As I look at it, I realize the average suburban squirrel's diet includes enough stolen fruit and vegetables that you can probably leave out a few items and still get the flavor.

2 squirrels
1 tablespoon salt
1 onion, minced
2 cups lima beans
6 ears of corn, kernels only
1/2 pound of salt pork, cubed
6 potatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups sliced tomatoes
1/4 pound butter
flour
2 slices lemon

Cut squirrel in pieces as for fricassee. Add the salt to 4 quarts water and bring to boil; add onion, beans, corn, pork, potatoes, pepper and squirrel pieces. Cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add sugar and tomatoes, and simmer 1 hour more. Ten minutes before removing stew from stove, add butter cut into walnut-size pieces and rolled in flour. Boil up, adding salt or pepper if needed. Pour into tureen and garnish with lemon. Serves 4.

Doesn't sound bad at all, actually.

-D. Lybrand

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Oct. 10 2005,10:41)]2 squirrels
1 tablespoon salt
1 onion, minced
2 cups lima beans
6 ears of corn, kernels only
1/2 pound of salt pork, cubed
6 potatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups sliced tomatoes
1/4 pound butter
flour
2 slices lemon

Cut squirrel in pieces as for fricassee. Add the salt to 4 quarts water and bring to boil; add onion, beans, corn, pork, potatoes, pepper and squirrel pieces. Cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add sugar and tomatoes, and simmer 1 hour more. Ten minutes before removing stew from stove, add butter cut into walnut-size pieces and rolled in flour. Boil up, adding salt or pepper if needed. Pour into tureen and garnish with lemon. Serves 4.
I love sharing recipes!
smile_m_32.gif

Back