What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. clipeata clone 1 real or not?

Hey Folks,

Got to talking with another hobbyist about N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) and the origin of its hybdridization. This plant was floating around years ago and being sold as N. clipeata which appears to be extremely similar to the species. Then it surfaced that the origin was somewhat "sketchy" and was concluded it was a hybrid with clipeata x eymae. My hobbyist friend said he still has doubts that it may not be a hybrid. He suggested that clipeata was very rare in those days and to grow out to a male would take time. Then you cross it with eymae (female in flower), get seed, grow out, would take even longer. Then you have a female N. clipeata in flower (another rare plant) and cross it with the clipeata x eymae (that took a long time to grow out) to make the final hybrid. Then the seed is grown out only to discover that maybe it isn't a species! Interesting suggestion! He had a good question: Who was the person that had the original clipeata x eymae that was used with the female clipeata? Are those plants still around? Also seems strange that there isn't that many clipeata hybrids out there either. All rather peculiar.

Anyhow, thought it might make an interesting discussion! This plant has been irking me for some time now!

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Hi Joel,

Just about everything you could ever want to know about the N. clip-1 clone
I am bumping the thread up also. N. clip1 discussion

Tony

btw I am up and around and will get caught up on emails orders etc asap

Back