What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alata

Hi!
First i want to say that i am from Denmark and that is why my english is pretty bad
smile_m_32.gif

I have my Alata and i give it water so it constantly have some in the "undercup" ( i do not know what it is in english )
smile.gif
and i spray it every day
smilie4.gif

It is standing in a window with a little amount of sun.
I have a few pics so i hope you can tell me what to do to make the "hangers" ( those things filled with enzymer ) look pretty and not so old..
HPIM0874.jpg

HPIM0875.jpg

HPIM0876.jpg

HPIM0877.jpg

you really dont need one. just follow the basic care sheet for all nepenthes. ill try to find you one if no one else post it up. this is problably one of the most forgiving hybrid nepenthes out there. misting is fine. you should try to trim or cut off the dead brown leaves off to make the plant look clean.

looks like a ventrata and a bit on the dry side to me.
Bye for now julian

Hello,
Your plant just needs to be cleaned up. Take away the dead leaves and "hangers" (pitchers) and it looks pretty good.

They do not enjoy sitting in water, so empty out the cup at the bottom after you water it. Otherwise, it looks like it's pretty happy.

Capslock

The water i give it is from the kitchen, somebody told me that was wrong, is he right?

It depends on your tap water. If you water this way, I'd suggest letting it run through your plant in the sink, and NEVER sit in standing water (where minerals will concentrate). Your tap water should be low in dissolved solids, preferably 100ppm and below. However, if your plant has been growing well for a long time, it's probably fine.

Capslock

Capslock is right - if the tap water is working, then it's OK. But if you can get distilled, reverse osmosis, or deionized water, they might work better. Distilled water and reverse osmosis water can be found at a lot of grocery stores here in the US, so I imagine you should be able to find it in Denmark. Water purified in these ways reduce the strain on the roots of the plants.
Your plant looks very healthy. How long have you had it? It would probably appreciate having those dead leaves trimmed off.
Simply put, you have an easy variety of Nep to care for, so you don't have to take special precautions. Just give it what all Nepenthes like. Because your plant is making pitchers (hangers) and appears healthy, you should be doing everything just about right. There are a number of good Nepenthes sites with instructions:
Neps Around the House
The Nepenthes FAQ from the CP FAQ
Neps for Everyone
Barry Rice's CP FAQ
Nep University
I'm not familiar with any CP sites that aren't in English because I don't read any other languages well enough. I know that Nepenthes cultivation is very popular in Europe, though, so you should be able to find some instructions in Danish or another language if you need.
There are a few guidelines that all of the sites above explain. Mostly, Nepenthes need to stay wet but not stand in water at the same time. They can't have normal plant fertilizer. They need special potting mixes, not the kind for ordinary houseplants. Besides for those few things, Nepenthes are very hardy plants and will take care of themselves.
Welcome to the forums, and good luck!
~Joe

i use tap once in a while too when special water is low. doesnt seem to hurt the plants either. make sure the chlorine level is low too.

Yes as long as its below 100 or even 150ppm it is fine. Might want to raise the humidity and lighting on that too.

Back