What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting question

ok so now that my nep is growing like crazy how do i go about getting cuttings? how do i get them to root? how many cuttings should you do a year?

Here are some pics that show how I did it. These pretty much all were successful.

First, I got everything together on a table. The nep mix is mostly LFS, some pumice and orchid bark. I like to put cuttings in individual pots so they can stay there for a while. The little white jar is rooting hormone gel. I've been successful with cuttings both using this and not using it. But it helps.
Cuttings_1.sized.jpg

I filled the post, then snipped off the vine:
Cuttings_2.sized.jpg

I then cut the vine into two-leaf sections. The offshoots grow from the raised nodes just above the leaves. Each cutting should have two of them.
Cuttings_3.sized.jpg

I then used a razor to make shallow cuts on the bottom of the cutting parallel with the vine to give more rooting surface. Dip it into the rooting hormone and insert them in the pots far enough that they are secure.:
Cuttings_4.sized.jpg

That's it! Now just water normally and within a month or two, you'll get a little offshoot and pretty soon a good-size nepenthes.

Capslock

Back